thread: New puppy

Add TubbyPuff on Facebook

Jan 2012
    Perth!

New puppy

My brother got a puppy yesterday, and my dog (he's about 4-5) was ok with her yesterday, but today he keeps growling at her every time she goes near him, even if im not near him (hes a mummies boy)
    She is smaller than him, hes only a small dog himself, but she is going to get a lot bigger being a coolie x mastiff.
    What can i do to help him get used to her and to stop being such a grumpy bum?

Feb 2008
    on a journey called life, finding our way home

I dont know much about this kind of thing but I would think just them being around each other and getting used to each other with someone there to stop anything if it happens would be enough.
    I think it also depends what territory you are in. If its your dogs territroy and you are worried that it might hurt the puppy, you could put it in a mesh cage or something for little periods of time so your dog can get used to it and not hurt the puppy.
    HTH good lcuk

Jan 2012
    Perth!

Yea, we keep an eye on them both when they are outside, and inside she sleeps in a crate. but he wont go near her. he especially hates it when she tries to "suckle" (read chew) from his willy

May 2012
    Perth, Western Australia

Dont allow pup to get in your dogs face (or on his willy!)
    Always supervise them together
    Give your dog an area or a space where he can get away from the puppy.
    Give him time - my dogs always sulk when a new pup is in the house

The growls are warnings... he's just trying to keep the puppy in line. Just be careful because sometimes a pup can push boundaries and not all dogs tolerate it.

Out of curiosity, how old is pup? if it was weaned correctly, it shouldn't be trying to suckle unless its too young to be away from mum.

Jan 2012
    Perth!

He is fine with her now. Plays around, he just hadn't been around a puppy before And she doesn't go for his bits any more