... 23456

thread: Putting your pets on raw foods for a longer life...

Feb 2006

SaraJane are you feeding the fish raw? My dog hates raw seafood, but he loves it when it's cooked.

Mar 2007

Thanks Naru, I will try cooking some for him then!!
    Last edited by Heaven; November 23rd, 2007 at 09:33 AM.

Jan 2007
    Perth - NOR

My girls are still going strong..
    someone questioned how much to feed...
    From what i have read - you feed them 2 -3% of their weight daily.
    eg, if your dog weighs 30kg, 2% of that is 600grams, 3% is 900grams - so, this is what you feed them daily.
    Chelsea needs to put on a bit of weight, so i feed her 3% of her weight, where as Abbey is abit of a lard ar$e, so gets 2% of her weight.

There is also an theory that dogs shouldnt be feed every day, and that it is actually good for them to have 1 or 2 days a week with no food, in order to help them clean out their systems (with the exception of puppies and lactating mummy dogs). I dont do it, my girls are used to having 2 meals a day, they would drive me mental if i suddenly didnt feed them. If you do choose to do this, then you just need to increase their daily feed amount to cover for the day that they miss... so that over the course of the week, they still get the same amount of food, regardless of how many feeds they actually have. Does that make sense.
    Last edited by ~Debbie~; November 23rd, 2007 at 09:12 AM.

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Naru, does he eat the sardines? My two puss cats only eat the sardines in tomato sauce LOL!

How's everyone going, anyone noticed any more changes?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Billy Ocean Guest

Sara Jane, how cute is your puppy!!!

There is NO WAY on this earth I'm letting her go without food for even one day. I think that's cruel. It might be how it is in the wild but she's never lived in the wild and that seems ridiculous to me.

I haven't noticed any changes in Ocean. Same energy levels, same poo etc. I'm happy to keep doing this though as she is enjoying it and I don't know what they put in the other foods.

Debbie, how is Chelsea going? Thank you also for the feeding guide info.

Feb 2006

Kelly, we hardly ever eat sardines, so our doggy has never tried them. I imagine he would like them. There's not much he doesn't eat (raw vegies, fruit, raw seafood). He especially loves tinned tuna. It's one of the few foods he is naughty enough to pilfer from the table or kitchen counter.

Nov 2005
    Sunshine Coast

This morning my Tabby cat turned his nose up at his liver - Mal ate his, but didn't eat the other serve, I threw it out. Tabby hasn't had anything all day. Mal threw up (on the dining chair, great) later so maybe it was bad or too rich or maybe a coincidence and it was a furball.

Haven't noticed too much of a change in them, but I think they were healthy to start - Tabby maybe could lose a few ounces so him not eating one meal doesn't worry me.

I picked up more sardines for them today, in case it was a furball.

Billy Ocean Guest

I'm having to worm Ocean 4 weeks earlier due to finding a couple of tape worm remnants near her bum. She is up to date with all flea/worming things so I was a little surprised. I called our vet and they said that all it could be is the raw meat. She said there's no harm in worming her a little early. Poor little girl. She looked quite embarrassed about it all! Other than that, she's still going ok on this diet of raw, natural things. I really can't say I've noticed a difference in her energy levels, weight, coat etc though. As long as it's good for her, I'm happy.

How's everyone else going? Have you noticed any changes?

Mar 2007

Hi Kate.
    We're still going with it. I haven't noticed any changes either. Except that he's a little pig!! lol. He loves his chicken, but no nothing different here!

Billy Ocean Guest

Yeah Ocean's loving the chicken necks too. I think she'd eat teh whole tray if I left them out!

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

Give it some time, you are doing your little furbabies such good! Its doing its work from the inside out... extending it's life span - and that you wont see for a while we hope!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

Jan 2007
    Perth - NOR

I second what Kelly said - you are potentially preventing them from getting sick, and helping them to live a longer and happier life.
    You might also find that, as the weather is getting warmer, dogs (and cats perhaps) tend to slow down abit anyway.

Billy Ocean Guest

OK girls, Ocean has taken to eating the bones. Is this cool or not? I noticed she spewed the other day and one came out. Surely it can't be good to eat bones. I've been giving her chops. Maybe I wasn't meant to?

Sigh...

Hope you're all going well.

Mar 2007

Hey Kate.
    I don't know but my dog eats the bones too. We buy bones from the butcher and he eats all the meat off then as much of the bone as he can!

Billy Ocean Guest

SaraJane, thanks for that, I feel much better. It can't be nice coming out though hey?

Oh well!

Mar 2007

lol, no, one day he was out in the back yard trying to go to the loo and whining!!!! lol. Something was not right. But that hasn't happened again, phew. Poor little thing I felt so bad, lol.

Billy Ocean Guest

You'd think they'd know better hey? *roll eyes*

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

No cooked bones I think - will double check. Defintely no cooked chook bones!!!
    Kelly xx

... 23456