Thread: Sega - my guinea pig

Default Sega - my guinea pig

I'm worried about my guinea pig.... for ever, he has been the fattest pog, like was a fat big. But today DH said he looked skinny, i picked him up and he is just skin and bone, he has lost ALL his fat!! I'm just...I don't know, would be different if he lost it slowly...but it was in the period of a few days and there isn't any on him =(

I worked out i would have had him for 5 years in October.. and i'm sure this is a long time for a guinea pig...so he is prob just getting old and on his way out...

but it makes me sad =( He has been my little buddy for so long...

I'm already mourning him...and he is a little trouper, he has been through so many life changes, different house etc (because i've dragged him around with me) so, i know he is a tough little guy.

i'm just worried =(

Do guinea pigs get worms? Just a thought.

how are his teeth looking hun? its quite common in piggies for their teeth to become overgrown and they have trouble eating and loose a stack of weight.
    check the back ones too.
    Fngers crossed he's back to his fatty ways very soon
    xxx

i dont know, but its true...he might be sick? My brother suggested going to the vet, if only to find out what guinea pig life spans are or you know, see what sickness are out there...which makes sense. =P

as far as i know his teeth are ok..but thats for the suggestion i'll have a look.

my dad was paying me out saying as if your worried he lost weight....hes prob now healthy instead of being obese =P

i hope he fattens up again...would there be certain foods which would help?

Take him to your vet and get him checked out if you are worried Does he have any appetite? Is he otherwise his normal self?
    As Skybie said, maybe his teeth are just overgrown and he is having trouble chewing, your vet will be able to file them back.

luceren hay is fattier than oaten hay. u could try that, i'd still get him to a vet though

Ive taken my guinea pigs to the vet and my entire family laughed at me If you're worried do it though Are his poos still pellety? Is he a caged variety or a free range? ie could he have eaten something he shouldnt have?

i havent noticed any difference in his behaviour - which makes me think maybe he is growing old..rather than sick
    he is caged, but he has spent a few days at my parents to eat their grass (we dont have grass where we live here..) so he deff. had an altered diet.

yea, im worried about him, but at the same time, I dont want to spend heaps on him...does that sound bad? im just keen on getting their advice...not for them to give me meds or **** that will cost heaps.

As someone else posted earlier, have you wormed him? If he isnt used to eating grass then that may have also put him off colour too. Is he eating and drinking like normal in his cage now?

g/pigs and bunnies need to adjusted to eat grass because it can be harsh on their bellies.
    when we have litters of buns i always start them on 5 mins a day then gradually increase it. has he had the runs?
    also is he alone in his hutch? sometimes if they're housed with other pigs or bunnies they can get pushed out the way of food and miss out

hes alone. every other bunny or pig i've owned he has out lasted them, hence him being a little trooper.

the eating grass thing isn't new..every few months he spends time over at my parents place, and before we moved here he was living on grass 24/7.

he is eating and drinking normal, and just as talkative as normal. thats whats weird...everything else is normal just he isn't a pog anymore.

thankyou everyone for your advice!!! i might pop around to the vet tomorrow morning before work.

Just thought I would put this in here..

But Sega died over night =( I had had him for 4 years and 10 months. which is a while for a pig?

thanks everyone for your suggestions before. I guess it was just his time...

oh hun, im sorry ur little piggie had to go! he definetly had a good run
    xxx

awww teirae i'm so sorry. i just saw your FB status before & was about to respond to that

RIP sega.

RIP Sega. Thinking of you hun, no matter how big or small our pets are they still leave an empty space when they go Sounds like he had a good innings though!