Thread: Stop peeing in the house!

Default Stop peeing in the house!

Please someone tell me there is a way to stop my male cat peeing in the house!

Background...About a week and a half ago I came home and a lovely little cat followed us into the house. He sat on my lap and then plonked himself on the sofa and went to sleep! I left the door open but he stayed. When I had to go to pick up the kids I decided to take him with and go to the vet (no collar).

I took him and he wasn't microchiped so decided to keep him while we tried to find the owner. Bought him some basic stuff and brought him home for the night. We knocked on the doors of our and close streets and put up a sign...nothing.

The next day he ran away kids were devastated and we'd been talking about getting a cat anyway so we went to the pound and bought a cat. Arrived home with our new (female) cat and there was Oscar (the male cat) on the doorstep.

So I decided if no one had claimed him by the following week then I would desex, microchip and register him. He'd peed a bit in the house so I decided till we got him desexed that he had to stay outside. The week he was outside he came and went and then on Tues I got him done and he's been inside since.

I thought the peeing would stop once we was snipped, but it hasn't My house smells...i've got air fresheners everywhere. I bought some cat repellant but it doens't seem to be working. I caught him twice and sprayed the repellant infront of him (not on him) like the girl in the pet shop said but I don't know what it did, if anything.

So any other tips?

Also any tips to get the smell out??

Also, he keeps meowing at the door, is it cruel to keep him in???

TIA guys

does he have a litter tray? although you may want him to go outside this is what we did for our male and it worked a treat.
    We firstly bought a litter tray and some kitty litter but instead of just putting kitty litter in the tray we mixed it with dirt from outside (so he got used to doing his business in the dirt) then after about 2 weeks we popped the litter tray just outside the back door then after a week completely removed it.

Since then the only accidents in the house he has had is when he has been left inside and we have gone out.
    HTH

Go to the vets, there's a product called "Urine OFF!" which is in a black bottle - it removes all smells. Excellent stuff.
    Secondly, don't use amonia-based products to clean up the urine, it will only encourage him to put his scent down.

As for meowing at the door, he's just learning that he's an inside cat. That will take some time, and he has a little friend, and will learn that he is with you and a good couple of meels a day from now on.

Our vet suggested dissoving some BioZet washing powder in water in a spray bottle & spraying that on because the enzymes in it get rid of the ammonia smell.

If you figure out how to stop it let me know. Our kitten is now 9 months old & we've resorted to keeping him outside 95% of the time because nothing else worked.

Thanks guys i'll check those out...Kaz is it just in the pet shop?

MrsS he's just an indoor cat and he has a litter tray. I know he poos in it, not sure if he wees in it. I think he's weed under my bed because I can smell it bleugh

Sarah is your cat desexed? Everyone said he wouldn't pee once he was desexed but he is

Yep he is desexed & we were told the same

CQ - I haven't seen it in pet shops, only vets - but try some of the bigger ones ... (pet shops that is!)

Peeing is different to spraying - spraying is marking territory done by whole toms, and desexing will stop that behaviour. Peeing though is behavioural and isn't related to gender. MrsS' thing about mixing dirt in with the litter is a good thing, it's worth doing whenever you change litter brands / types to get them used to it ..

Good luck!

Oh ok so how do I break the habit of him peeing in the house? He's changing rooms now

My sister adopted a desexed adult male cat from a friend. Apparently, he had no behavioural issues. The cat, that is! Pretty much as soon as the cat arrived he peed in the house and he hasn't stopped. He does have a litter tray but also spends time outside. Without a tray he was pooing inside, too. She did try mixing the kitty litter with dirt but the cat refused to use it. My sister has had the cat for about 18 months now and he stiiiillll pees every time he comes inside. He even wee'd on my neices bed... ewwww. The vet can't explain it and ultimately said it is a very bad habit which my sister can't seem to break in him. The cat now spends a lot of time outside, but my sister lets him in when it is very cold because she feels sorry for him... and he promptly wees somewhere! Her house (which is otherwise very, very clean) STINKS. But she and her girls are so used to it that they can't smell it anymore!!

I'm sorry I don't have any constructive suggestions. My sister has sought advice but ultimately nothing has worked. I would be putting the cat outside to live and providing a warm bed and plenty of meals. Maybe I'm nasty, but I could not live with a cat that pees all over my house! My sister used bottles and bottles of Urine OFF and it works reasonably well (better than anything else we found) but she has had to throw out some furniture and carpet because they still smelt horrid. I hope you find a solution... or put the cat OUT!!

Wow thats depressing news lol!

I've got some Urine Off and it does seem to help a bit...last night he jumped on my pilllow and my pillow stank I'm pretty sure he didn't wee on it but maybe had just done a wee?

Am I terrible person by considering keeping him outside?? I just can't stand it, it makes me physically sick

Can you have one outside and one inside cat? Is that fair?

Do you think he might stop in his own time?

Lol... sorry I didn't have more uplifting suggestions C~Q!! Nup, I don't think it's cruel to have the cat live outside as long as you provide meals and warm bedding. I guess the only thing to consider is whether the cat is a hunter and will prey on the local wildlife. I know people will say that every cat is a predator, but my moggy is far too well fed to be bothered hunting for herself... that would interrupt her sleep!!