Thread: UREGENT dog cross breed question

Matryoshka Guest

Exclamation UREGENT dog cross breed question

My mil is going to look at a ****er spaniel crossed bull dog very soon (firstly her reasons i don't agree with which is for it to be a companion for her lonely ****er spaniel/cavalier who is alone all day whilst they both work full time - so now 2 dogs will be alone). Secondly i am hugely worried about the bull dog side - aren't they dangerous/vicious?? we have a baby and a toddler, both not gentle with dogs yet, and yes while you attempt to supervise 24/7 you can't always.

Please tell me how this cross would be as i have no idea. My mil says bull dogs are just lazy dogs and good with kids, so maybe i'm thinking of something else?

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Personally I wouldnt want a dog with bulldog in it but that is me.

We have a cavalier cross ****er spaniel and got a 2nd cavoodle (cavalier cross poodle) to keep each other company and they are best of friends and it does help them, so I do agree with getting a 2nd to keep other company.

My friend has a pit bull cross up north and she says he is very docile. But he's also really over weight. He's never bitten anyone and when I saw him he came straight up and snuggled into me. So maybe it'll be safe......???? Sorry I dont know what he's crossed with.

I have 2 dogs also ( 1 x pure Lab and the other a cross bred we saved from pound) So 2 dogs work very well and do keep each other company - dogs are pack animals and do well with another dog.
    Im not sure about Bulldogs but I do know that ALL dogs need to be supervised with children and no breed should ever been taken for granted that they better with kids.

Kate

Matryoshka Guest

I don't really think its fair to get a dog when you're away from the home for over 12 hours a day, and i don't think getting a second dog is the solution to this.

Though this really wasn't what the thread is about..... I'm trying to find out if bull dogs are suitable around children, my google search results were inconclusive. Some say yes, great with kids, others say no, too "bulldozerish".

When you say bull dog do you mean British Bulldog? With the pinched up noses? They are not known as an aggressive breed. Maybe you are thinking of Pit Bull Terriers which do have a rep for biting?

As with any dog, how it is raised and trained is equally or moreso important than the breed that it is.

If you are uncomfortable with your kids being around the dogs could you ask for them to be shut outside/tied up when the kids are around?

OMy - who thought crossing a bully with a ****er spaniel was a good idea ? I can't even imagine what the poor fella looks like.

Don't panic too too too much, have a look at the parents if possible.

My nephew had a bull terrier x CORGI (the poor doggie, he always looked rather embarrassed), and he was a lovely funny doggie that you couldn't help giggling at. He looked exactly like a bully but with Corgi legs and tail and we all missed the unfortunate fella when he went to doggie heaven.

hth..

It would depend on the dog, and his parents...there are many "bull dog" types out there...often people mix up the individual breeds and just mash them together as bull dog/bull terrier, so viewing the dog and its parents if possible would be the best option. Or just make sure dogs are kept separate to kids.

Lulu I'm sure that mix isn't quite as bad as a kelpie x cavalier...although the resulting puppy was quite cute! Has cavvy ears with slightly crimped fur, and a cavvy looking face but long legs of a kelpie! Definitely an *oops* litter... and then there was the litter of pups my brothers dog had, which were kelpie x sausage dog (sausage dog was the dad...imagine that..he sure wasn't going to give up lol.)

There are lots of absolutely lovley bull-dogs out there. They can be wonderful family pets.

One of the cutest dogs I've ever seen looked like a bully X corgi. I soooo wanted to take her home. I love fugly bull dogs.

I always thought bulldogs were quite docile. Maybe you are getting confused with pit bulls or bull terriors?

Actually I think there can be alot of confusion about Bulldogs, Pitbulls, Staffies etc...

Matryoshka Guest

Ah okay, i might be thinking of pit bulls, are these the ones that have been made illegal? or at least i've seen lots of attacks in the news.

I personally wouldn't buy a dog unless from a breeder, and of course would view the parents temperament, but i know my MIL won't care about those things and is going to just view the puppy and go by how it is.

So i guess i just have to take the huge risk and hope they train it better than their cavalier (who still jumps on my toddler and is 5 years old).

Yep, pitbulls are the illegal ones.

Actual Bulldogs are the fat, short, drooly and snorty ones. Can have breeding/genetic problems with their breathing, noses, mouths and teeth (overbites and underbites). However, they are pretty placid! I've never seen one try too hard to do anything, except maybe eat. :-)

Matryoshka Guest

Okay thanks for the reassurance

Seen the puppy and its a bit cute Strangely, the parents are white (bulldog) and tan (****erpaniel) but the pup is black, not sure how that works? Has the face of a spaniel, but the stocky build of a bulldog (i assume). Seems pretty calm so am not as stressed about it as i was before.

I assume the white would be rescessive (as it is is cats) and therefore the dog is most likely to get whatever colouring is on the spaniel side rather than the bulldog side. Black is always a dominant over anything apparently (if I remember high school biology correctly), so it would get the black over the tan, even though the tan is visible in the mother.

Golden ****er Spaniels can often throw a black pup. I had a black ****er and she was just beautiful. She died last July, 2 days before her 15th birthday.