Thread: Low Lying Placenta at 19 week scan - Now WHAT??

Question Low Lying Placenta at 19 week scan - Now WHAT??

Hi there Ladies

Just wondering how many of you have been diagnosed with a Low Lying Placenta at your 18-20 week scan??

I had mine yesterday and it came up with this - I believe that it is "Abutting the Side of the Cervix" - so I'm assuming that, that means it's just touching the side of the Cervix and not covering it - I'm yet to see my MW for clarification.

What I'm wondering is - did you have special instructions on what NOT to do - ie No Sex, No heaving lifting?? - I've made the mistake of using trusty Google and freaked myself out - Oh why I do that to myself I'll never know.

Also - do you think it's unusual that up until now the placenta has been no where near the cervix - I've had several other scans for Spotting etc and each time it has been clear of the Cervix - But not yesterday - is that normal - I didn't realise the placenta "moved" around that much....

Also - anyone that has had this before has yours moved up and if yes by when?? - I was told to come back in the 3rd trimester but realistically there is no chance I'm going to be able to wait that long to see if it has moved - so I was planning on going back at say 24weeks for a check up - am I just wasting my time??

OK sorry for the long post but this one has me stumped!! and unfortunately a little worried (ok a lot worried )

TIA

My placenta was "low lying" also at 19wks. But rest assured, mine shifted by 30wks. My ob said it is very common as there is not much room for your placenta, and it often shifts as your uterus expands. I had another formal u/s done at 34wks to double check and it was all clear!! Good Luck!!

Thanks Shellbelle - were you given any special instructions and/or things to be cautious of??

shells right! u have a pretty good chance by the end of the pregnancy that ur placenta would have moved away from ur cervix because of ur expanding uterus. I think the worst case senario if it was to stay where it is, is having a c/section, which isnt that bad at all.

Apart from that... how did the rest of ur scan go?? did u find out what ur having???

Dianna, I had the same thing. I don't think there is any additional risk, except for the potential for haemorrhage during labour. But I wouldn't worry, the placenta will nearly always move up as the uterus expands, so in most cases you will still be able to go into spontaneous labour and birth vaginally. I think it's less than 20% of the time where it doesn't move enough and you need to have a planned c/s.

What will most likely happen is that they will do another scan at around 32 weeks and then see if it is ok. My ob told me it only needs to be 1.2cm (I think?) away to be ok.

GL, I hope it moves for you. The odds are certainly in your favour.
    Last edited by MantaRay; July 12th, 2008 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks Ladies - I knew I could come on here and get some reassurance.

Hollye - the rest of the scan was great - baby is growing well and healthy and at this point looks like we're having a gorgeous baby GIRL - but if I was to pop out a boy I wouldn't be disappointed - the sonographer was 90% sure on the girl bits and told us he'd be very surprised if we ended up with a boy - either way just want a healthy one

Hey MantaRay - were you told to abstain from sex?? - ok I know I'm harping on this but poor DH hasn't had any action for close to 20 weeks and I'm sure he's starting to climb the walls - me on the other hand I'm happy to become a Nun - lol

Dianna, no I wasn't. But you could always tell DH you were LOL!!

My ob said no need to abstain from sex - just be gentle!! HTH, maybe not though, did you want me to say ABSTAIN!!! GL!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

LOL Ladies - No I think if I want to have a happy daddy I'd better do the right thing - besides from what I remember it used to be pretty good