Thread: placenta previa

Unhappy placenta previa

Dear ladies, I am 14 week pregnant and discover that i have placenta previa. It is sitting at the edge of my cervics......I was quite shaken when my doctor and midwifes told me that i may need to go on bed rest if I started bleeding and that chances of a early birth is quite possible. I really dont know what to make of it... i was also told that in early pregnancy with the growth os the uterus , it can move upwards... i sure do hope that will happen. i am so scared as this is my first pregnancy ... has nayone gone through this and has delivered a healthy baby? Pls tell

Didi

Try not to stress, Didi. I had a low lying placenta, close to the cervix, and it caused me no problems throughout my pg. I had a friend with complete placenta praevia whose placenta was completely covering her cervix (therefore high risk) and she did have two bleeding episodes, at 28 weeks and 32 weeks, but neither time was she put on complete bed rest. The last one she stayed in hospital for a few weeks for monitoring and extra risk, but more so that she was right there if there was a need to perform a c/s quickly. She had a healthy baby boy at 37 weeks.

If your placenta is not over the cervix in all likelihood it will move up as the uterus and placenta grow. I was warned there was a chance I would experience bleeding, especially after sex (I never did), but that unless it was more than spotting and accompanied by other things like pain, cramping, etc, there was nothing to worry about. They only told me so that I wouldn't worry!

I would think you can relax and just keep an eye on it. The 18 week u/s should tell you if it's moving further away and you can have a later one at 32 weeks if there is any concern remaining. Almost all are resolved by this point.

Default thanks

Thanks jennifer.... i do hope all will be well.....

Default placenta previa

I had a complete previa and it was completely covering the cervix. I had spotting from 30 weeks then had 2 bleeds at 34 weeks requiring a c section and DS being born at 34 weeks. I was never put on bed rest and worked up until 33 weeks in a high stress and physically demanding job. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Chances are it will move up anyway. Good luck and let us know how u go.

Wow Teresa, Hamish was a decent size at that gestation too! I had my DD at 38+6 and she weighed a tiny 2.56 kgs. I think my placenta wasn't doing as good a job, as well as being in the wrong spot!

I had the same thing and it is hard not to stress. I really did not was a c-section and was told if it did not resolve that it would be required. Was also told bed rest may be necessary but most resolve so not to stress. They have to tell you all those scary things. At my 19 week scan my cervix was half covered. My ob had no trouble with me then going on an oversea's holiday for 3 weeks involving lots of walking etc. Although he did say no sex while away just to be on the safe side, and that was mostly as a hospital visit to check on bub if I had bleeding would have been costly. I was told the placenta would most likely move up and was booked in for a 32 week scan. Due to unrelated problems at 29 weeks they did an u/s and it showed that the placenta was now 1cm away and they expected it would continue moving up so not to worry. Then due to those unrelated problems DD had to come out via emergency c-section so never got to find out. I would not worry if I were you. As J13 says most are resolved Congratulation on your pregnancy and enjoy.

Default placenta previa

Jennifer13 - I also had GD which gave him a good weight! Not to mention all of the other complications I had. .