Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mothers Groups in cairns

Smile Mothers Groups in cairns

Hi,
    I am a first time mum living in Cairns and feeling slightly lost. I am from the UK and have been over here since November 2005. All my family is still in the UK so I am feeling a little like I have no support as my partner works long hours. Therefore I was wondering whether there are any Cairns mums on here and whether anyone knows of any good mothers groups. My darling son is only 2 weeks old so although I will try playgroups I get the feeling he is probably a little young. Although if I am wrong please advise me!
    any help would be appreciated.
    Joanne

Lippy_lou78 Guest

Hi Joanne,
    I am in the Northern Beaches and I have only just started looking for Mother Groups - I dont know where to start really!!
    I dont have any family here either as they all live in Brisbane!

Where are you located?

I have a 2 month old girl, Sierra-Jane and I would really appreciate talking to another Mum who is starting out, so please drop me a line.
    Cheers
    Lauren

Hi Lauren,
    Thanks for the message, I was starting to think there was nobody in Cairns on the internet!
    My son Dylan is 3 weeks old tomorrow so I am just starting out too. Would love to be in touch with someone who is having the same hassles.
    I am in Edmonton which is southside but I have a car so can travel! Have you had any joy with mothers groups yet? I found one at our local community health centre which meets on Mondays. I am going tomorrow but they seem to be more like meetings with set subjects and it only meets for 6 weeks. I am not sure what I expected from a mothers group but this one may be a start.
    So have you been in Cairns long?
    Drop me a line soon.
    Jo x

Georgia's Mummy Guest

Smile

Hi

Mind if I join this thread? I'm a mum in Cairns looking for a mother's group too! My name is Nicole and I have a 4 month old daughter named Georgia. I live in the city and have been here for just over a year. I too would love to be in touch with Mummies who are in a similar situation.

Hope to chat soon,

Nicole

Lippy_lou78 Guest

Hi Jo and Nicole!

Great to hear from you both, looks like we are getting somewhere! hehe

I have found a Mum and Bubs group at Smithfield Community but I am not sure if I will go to that now because I have organised a catch up with the Mum's that I did ante natal classes with so thats a good start. And now that I am talking to you guys I am pretty happy now.

I dont mind coming into town also, gets me out of the house, thats for sure! So perhaps if we were to meet up maybe the city would be central for all?

My hubby and I moved up from Melbourne 5 years ago and in between we were in Brissy for a year, so got back to Cairns this time last year when I found out I was preggers.
    So from moving around a lot I only know a couple people in Cairns but they don't have children which is fine but I guess at the end of the day we new Mum's need to find other Mum's so we can share stories and advice because I dont know about you but I tend to talk about my little girl 70% of the time

I will leave it there and hope to hear from you both, I am not to sure how these things work but maybe we could start emailing each other and go from there?

Cheers
    Loz

Hey Guys!
    I am glad this has resulted in us talking. I went to a mothers group at Edmonton Community Health Centre and it was quite good. It was nice to hear that other mothers have the same hassles as you. I also met up with a mum from my ante-natal group which was also pretty good. It would be good if we get something started from this too. The city does sound central for all of us and there are some nice coffee places which are fine about kids.
    It is nice to hear that there are other people out there that don't have a million friends and family on hand. We could maybe support each other assuming of course we get on! Not sure whether it will be easier to email through this or through direct email so here's my email address. [email protected]. I am happy to swop phone numbers too but only via private emails obviously.
    Have a good day, talk to you soon.
    Jo

oh wow, i've been on belly belly since 2005 and didn't know there was anyone from Cairns !!! I live in Mount Sheridan. I'm keen to meet up, and a girlfriend of mine has a 15 month old who lives in Smithfield and would be keen too.

Georgia's Mummy Guest

My email is [email protected] I'd love to meet up with you all

Jodi: are you also a member of another parenting website? My name on there is new_mummy82....ring a bell?

Hope to hear from u soon
    Nicole

hey Nicole sure does ring a bell. I never knew your name though!! lol

Hellooooooooooooooooooo GIRLS!!!!

YEAH yeah yeah yeah oh oh oh I am soooo excited now !

Wow i didn't realise how many of us are in cairns with NO family, i am in the same boat too! I have a 14mth old little girl and i am due to have another girl 26th June AHHHHHH am i insane!

I would love to meet up with you all sometime too. I only know Jodi in mt Sheridan and her family really so it would eb great to haev some more friends in cairns and share some fun things and stories.

I live in Smithfield Northern beaches i have been to the playgroups and all of that but not really for me so i am excited already to try and get this cairns/internet mummies group organised.

Hope to here from you all soon

Jen
    xx
    Last edited by bigbird2girls; September 16th, 2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: taking out email address

Hi Girls,

Thought I should get this meet up started asap, how does next week sound?

We could all catch up in the city at Muddies Playground on the Esplanade.
    First though how old is everyones babies/toddlers/kids just so it suits everyone.

Muddies has a babies playground/water area in one section it has a large Fish in the middle of it near the carpark area and cafe. The rest of muddies on the other side is for the bigger kids. So i am suggesting that we meet at the big fish next week maybe Tuesday 29th May at a time to suit everyone. Maybe 10am or something? Not sure what everyones routine is with their Bubs?

I am heavily pregnant so you can't miss me, Jodie i also no but we will attach a balloon to one of our prams so you can identify us.

Anyway i hope we can all make a suitable time and work out if Muddies will be a convenient spot for everyone to meet.

jen

I won't be able to meet in the mornings as Nina's first sleep for the day is usually at 9.30/10am, for about 2.5-3 hours, so she'll be awake at around midday. Afternoon suits me better. I'm happy to meet at Muddies.
    I'll see if I can get a few more girls together to meet as well.

ETA: bubbas ages:

Joanne - DS 2 weeks old
    Nicole - Georgia 4 months old
    lauren - Sierra-Jane 2 months old
    me - Nina 9 months old
    Jen - Tayneesha 14 months old
    others I'll ask to come along:
    Mandy - Senara 3 months old
    Lauren - Cameron 15 months old
    Last edited by Visitor7; May 22nd, 2007 at 10:43 AM.

Kush & Charli Guest

Hi All

Hope you dont mind me jumping in at the end of all this. I have been looking at joining a Play Group but i just dont know if it is my thing and probably heard a few to many stories that have put me of from going, however this little group that you are starting sounds like a lot of fun. I have an 11.5mth old daughter who is a ball of energy and loves muddies. Unfortunately i work on that day but if you are going to organise another outing we would love to come along.
    My email is [email protected]
    Thanks
    Kushla & Charli

Hi Girls,

Well it doesn't look as if the weather is going to be very good tomorrow and it is forecast for scattered showers and 27degrees. Muddies i think will be too cold for all of us and especially for the younger bubs. I am not sure what you all want to do if we reschedule or we go to another venue?

If you let me know what your thoughts are on this.

I will have a think of some other locations as well that won't be so windy, cold and wet. Other ideas from you all would be great as well.

Hi girls,

There is a place called maze mania for kids at cairns central i have never been there before but i called them direct and spoke to the lady and she tells me that there are comfy seats for breastfeeding and meet ups etc etc. There is a play area for toddlers under 3 which has a ball pit and smaller pieces of equipment as well. Next to the toddlers area there is a mat area for baby babies as well.

The cost is $7.00 for each child over 12mths old - That will be me only i think
    Adults it is $2.00 for each of us.

I asked about times etc and she told me that by about 1.30pm it drops off as the parents take there kids home for a sleep etc. In the morning it is full by about 10.00am!

I am not sure what you want to do but maybe this is the better option for this meetup and see what it is like? If it is any good we can alternante between Muddies and Maze Mania for kids - rainy cold days maze mania and sunny warm days Muddies. Just a thought.

It is located upstairs in the foodhall area at the back on the Lhs oposite the picture theatre entrance. (depends which way you come in though)

Let me know what you all think.

BekBek Guest

Hey girls,

My name is Bek, im a 19 year old single mummy. My baby girl Novalee is 4 weeks old and i was looking to make friends with some other mums in cairns. I live in Mt Sheridan so i was hoping to join you little group. Ive been looking to find mums groups around cairns but havent had any luck yet and i was soo happy to find you guys on here.

Bek

Hi Bek, feel free to come tomorrow to Maze Mania. I'm also in Mount Sheridan.

BekBek Guest

Aww thank you. What time are you guys meeting tomorrow ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast