Thread: Bunching problems - what am I doing wrong?

Question Bunching problems - what am I doing wrong?

Hey all,

I'm seemingly having a reoccuring problem, so I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. I've tried two pockets on DS now - a Swaddlebees (which leaked through the microfibre insert) and a Green Kids (which didn't leak at all with the hemp insert, but didn't have it on too long cos he did a big poo ).

However, both times when I took the nappy off him, the inserts weren't at the end of the nappy anymore, like they were when I put it on him. They had bunched down towards the middle, probably about an inch and a half or something?

So is this something that happens with pockets or am I not stuffing it correctly? I always make sure that it is flat all the way through and extends from one end to the other, but the bunching still happened, so I'm just thinking I'm crap at stuffing or something (although I am excellent with a doona cover and a doona!!)

Does anyone have any idea of why it bunches down or do they naturally move down because DS is up and walking and crawling etc etc etc??

Thanks in advance!!!

*bump"

Does anyone have any ideas?

I know this isn't going to be a great help, but mine do it too. I have one helluvan active toddler so that may have something to do with it, but I don't think it's anything you can stop. I've had better success with bamboo stuffers I've made myself and i think that's because they are a bit thicker.
    Microfibre is not my friend, and I've only recently bought a swaddlebees from the good recommendatinons here. Unfortunatley after she wore it I read that both the stuffers were microfibre -

kim - I just ordered more stuffers for the swaddlebee - but the bamboo ones. So hopefully that will solve the problem in that.
    It didn't happen in the Haute pocket I tried on him today, but it still leaked near his leg... so I'm guessin I need to wash them more??? They fit tight enough so I don't think its a pee escaping the nappy because of an exit hole, more like its leaking cos its soaked through.. if that makes sense.. I'm just sorta guessin...

Mel, I've been using them for a loooong time, and i'm still guessing why they leak sometimes lol. Good idea about the bamboo though. I didn't know you could get them - thanks!
    ps they could be wicking too.....ie too much moisture nears clothes and seeps onto them.

Do you pull it flat when putting the insert in or tug it at the front when putting it on? I find both those things can pull the insert to one end. Letting it keep a little natural curve when stuffing and being sure not to tug the front of the nappy when putting it on should help.

I haven't used Swaddlebees but I find my Hautes always wet through- we've stopped using them.

Oooh good tip Ren.. I think I'm a "tugger on the front of it".... (too much sposie use I suppose!!)

What kind of fit are they?? My thinking is that if they are a little baggy in the crotch area that could lead to bunching? I've only used my GK on bubs and he's 12 weeks so I'm not experienced with a pocket on a toddler. But on him I can see (obviously) it is saggy in the crotch so I try to shorten the rise as much as possible to keep that whole crotch area as taut as I can, iykwim? I dunno, could be way off here....

The Swaddlebees is a medium and he's a tall kid - bout 11.5kg, so it looks like speedos on him - I think its tight enough in the crutch.. any tighter he'd turn into a girl.. pmsl!!!!

I dunno.... maybe I'm just a spaz at stuffing cos it happens with all of them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gudism View Post
    I think its tight enough in the crutch.. any tighter he'd turn into a girl.. pmsl!!!!
    Good point!

I'm not so good with word explainations but I will try my best at how we stuff our swaddlebees and hautes

Hautes - small setting use only the small insert, medium use both inserts but instead of clipping them place the small in the front middle of the larger one and fold a portion of the large insert back onto the small so their is a lip at the front. Take the front of the insert in your hand and put your whole hand into the nappy right to the very front. Once there take your other hand and hold the insert inside the front seem of the nappy and pull your hand out, stretching the nappy as you go like a banana and it curves up. Flatten out any mills and if your storing it snappy it up like it's on bubs

Swaddlebees - be aware that the "new swaddlebees" with organic velour slightly wider in the crotch then the original swaddlebees with microfleece. this means (I realised the other day) that the inserts that are disinged for the uniquly narrow swaddlebee crotch do leave a little gap at the sides of the newer SB pocket! The only solution I have found so far is to use the SB hemp as it is slightly wider or even the MF and Hemp at the same time.

Ren - Have you got a traditional or breathable haute? the breathables will feel damp to touch after a couple of hours due to the awesome breathability, if you don't like the breathability the traditional ones are made from reg PUL and won't get that damp feeling

Sarah - I think I have the old Swaddlebees design. And the Haute only came with one insert?? I got it off ebay though - so may have been jipped. I will try your suggestion about folding it over though, cos i noticed the microfibre on the swaddlebees was longer than the pocket and I folded it over at the back - duhhhh - so will do it at the front, see if that helps.. lol

Thanks heaps mate.

Yup - you got duped, your trial pack should be there by monday and you'll see the two inserts and I think you'll find a BIG difference in how the nappy works. I probably have some spare little inserts floating around here that I can pop into your recent parcel which is sitting on my coffee table waiting for the postman

Damn you ebay person - and I left good feedback.. arghhh!!!

Thanks Sarah - you are too kind...
    And btw.. I keep looking at your website looking for more specials.. pmsl.. so you may see more orders from me (my mum told me off - told me I was addicted.. pfft)

Yes, nappies are totally addictive. I will be adding more stock on Monday as the last of our orders come in so there may be more for you then

Ooohhhh you are norty...

Quote Originally Posted by ~Saram~ View Post
    Ren - Have you got a traditional or breathable haute? the breathables will feel damp to touch after a couple of hours due to the awesome breathability, if you don't like the breathability the traditional ones are made from reg PUL and won't get that damp feeling
    I got mine before you could get both so I guess that makes them traditionals?

Hi Ren - if you bought them earlier this year they are probably breathables if you bought them last year then they will be the older style PUL before they were redesigned in which case try a quick spell in the dryer (5-10 min) to reseal the PUL lining