Thread: Nappies leaking - what's going on??

Default Nappies leaking - what's going on??

All of a sudden my green kids nappies are leaking around the legs. DD has just started crawling properly and is constantly on the move so I don't know if its her increased movement, or if all of a sudden she is doing bigger wees. It seems that one week she was lasting up to 5 hours per nappy (I was changing her every 4 hours, and she always had dry skin and no leaks), to having to change her every 2.5 hours or so, otherwise they're leaking.

Any ideas?

Humm, that’s weird. What kind of leaking is it? Overflowing? Compression? Wicking? What insert are you using? The bamboo ones are the most absorbent?

It could be the increased movement or just bigger wees as you have suggested.

Is your DD drinking more in this hot weather?

Have you tried boosting with a bamboo booster? The GK bamboo boosters are great IMO.

HTH, if not, come into the cloth nappies thread in the cloth nappy general discussion, the ladies in there are nappy super heros (they wear red satin capes with the letter “N” on the back).

I'm not sure whether this might help... but when this happened to me mysteriously with our Fuzzi Bunz, I ran my whole stash through a "cleansing wash" to remove any residue buildup.

Now, I know what you're saying.... " I follow the washing instructions to the letter and don't use any products that leave residue...." I was the same, but somehow something got built up on the surface that made them less absorbent.

I'm sure you may get other ideas, but this I followed the Fuzzi Bunz recommendations for residue removal and it worked a treat. I now do this approx every 6 weeks just to keep them extra clean. Obviously, check your care instructions to see if any of this is contraindicated for Green Kids...

1. Rinse cycle in plain hot water.
    2. Wash cycle in cold water with 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup bi-carb soda
    3. Add an extra 1/2 cup vinegar in the rinse cycle of this wash
    4. Run through a final quick rinse cycle in plain cold water (to get the vinegar smell out)
    5. Hang in bright sunshine and fresh air!!

Hope this may be of help.

Thanks Kym. My green kids are rinses then washed then rinsed in a teeny tiny bit of amolin. They're also only about 4 weeks old so if its something like a build up already I'd be really upset!! Will definitely put this somewhere safe for down the track them when they need a refresh.

Rachel - use the bamboo inserts which I agree are brilliant (or at least were!) TBH I'm not sure what "wicking" means. Its not piles of wee anywhere - more a case that her clothing around her legs is getting wet. I'll drop into the chat thread and see if there's a caped crusader in there to help me - thanks!