thread: peopods problem

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    australia

peopods problem

what might be the cause of peapods feeling wet to touch on the outside after only an hour or two, with adequate boosting? is it possible for PUL to stop being water resistant? and if so, how would it be fixed?

Add Kazbah on Facebook Follow Kazbah On Twitter

Sep 2006
    Dandy Ranges ;)

it is possible for it, it may have a slight tear or something?Otherwise, if you've been using them for only a short time, are they fitting properly? Specially around the legs?

Try throwing it in the dryer on hot to reseal the PUL.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    melbourne

my peapods always leaked!! hated them! the red was worse

Jul 2006

LOL...mine are the same AJP.....but never had red ones....but still leaked and were horrid!

My emergency nappies...but i make sure there is never an emergency need for them :P

Feb 2006
    South Eastern Suburbs, Vic

I found that my ds needed extra boosting around 8 months, he went through a stage of being a super wee-er. What do you mean by 'adequate' boosting?

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    australia

oh really? so this is not an isolated problem. i don't have a drier but i just washed them on hot, maybe that'll "reseal" them, whatever that means. By adequate boosting i mean a bamboo and a microfibre that is only half wet when the dampness starts coming thru to clothes. so it's not compression leaking. nor is there a hole as i have several and they seem to all be the same. i wonder why the red was worst AJP? did you buy yours new, and if so did you complain to the makers..? mine are preloved and were gifted by a friend who didn't use them coz of leaking, she thought before i go buying pp i should try them. maybe they wont leak on my baby, but they do. how sad to resign them to backup emergency nappies. my stash is way too small for that. why cant they be sprayed with something to reseal them,,, like, i dunno, lanolin? or should i find someone with a drier perhaps?

Mar 2007

Did you wash them a few times before using them? I was told to do that with mine.
    (not quite sure why but anyway)

I've heard some great things about Peapods and also some bad things about them.... some babies fit them really well and don't have any leakages i've read on forums.

I hope we don't have too many issues with them, we'll find out in Jan.

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

xtml def not isolated. mine have been delegated to the 'just in case pile too'.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    australia

girls, i had to try the drier technique becoz they are supposed to be shiny inside- so i went to a laundromat and chucked em in a commercial drier for 10 mins-
    what do you suppose happened? all the pul melted together and stuck- especially on the red. seperating the squished up outer layer caused the laminate to come away from the underlying material, it sure isn't waterproof now! the red one totally bit the bullet, the others were able to be unwrinkled with less disasterous consequences, but they still aren't shiny so i doubt it's helped any... will try em out and let you know.

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

oh no!!!

Apr 2007
    the Sauna

oh dear ,

i hated the red pea pods and the dark green ones ...i bought mine about 18months ago and found the same problem ..

but the newer version (bamboo) are fab , i have the lighter coulors like the light blue and light green and the brown , and so far no problems .. and he can go for a nap in them and be totally dry to touch on the outside and on the skin ..

apart from the 2 coulors i never really had much of a problem with them , i am about to sell them as ds is waaaaay to chunky for them now and they are hardly used

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    australia

congrats Charmalea on your baby girl! what a gorgeous name too. i want a girl so i can give her a pretty name. i only have boys, but would love another.

i found a way to keep using the nappies, although the waterproofing is compromised. i put a piece of fleece between the booster and the pul. so far so good. so simple a solution, i cant believe i didn't think of it before.

Feb 2006

Aww great idea xtml! Let us know how it keeps going! Clever!

Add Kazbah on Facebook Follow Kazbah On Twitter

Sep 2006
    Dandy Ranges ;)

omg xtml, I feel really bad now

will PM you

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    australia

nah don't feel bad, i just laughed and got creative. i'm nothing if not resourceful. and the sense of satisfaction having outwitted the nappy gods, i'm feeling good. similarly, i successfully turned some of my favourite covers into pockets, and feel smug every time i use them.

Feb 2006

Haha! Which ones did you turn into pockets? How did you do it?

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    australia

glad you asked! i turned some baby beehinds and a zigzag (wahm) cover into pockets by simply sewing in a lining, careful not to cover the snaps/velcro on the back wings. they are a little bit dodgy as i'm new at sewing, like the stitch is showing on one and my joins aren't perfect, but they work! and they fit really well. (the zigzag one was too tight over a nappy, but is perfect fit as a pocket)

Aug 2008

I have some pea pods and they are the newer ones and I have the same problem, they leak after about 20 mins of being on DD. She doesn't even come close to wetting through any of the other nappies I have.
    Mine are in my emergency pile... all 3 of them!
    My inserts have also shrunk SO much. I know they are meant to shrink, but these are almost 1/2 their original size. Not happy with them at all. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else!