Thread: Possible newbie to the mcn world

Default Possible newbie to the mcn world

I am a bit excited, I borrowed a friends bumgenius to try out because I have been getting more and more interested in all of this, and I LOVED IT. So impressed.

So I am going to keep an eye on finances in the coming weeks and maybe make the plunge. I have the nappy to borrow for another few days, so going to wash it and try again.

So hopefully you girls will see me in here shortly asking all sorts of questions, and singing the praise of my new nappies. I am so looking forward to having softer nappies on my babies tooshie, and to not throwing out all those bags of nappies all the time. That was weighing on me quite heavily.

:woot:

WTG SL!!! Once you start you won't be able to stop!!

You will have to join MCN annonymous too!

BumG's are great nappies

I finally made my purchase today...bit excited. I know that I don't have enough, but its a good start. My bank balance is really hoping I don't get too addicted, I can tell you that much!

My bank balance was hoping that too...
    I think it's hopes were destroyed when i discovered some places do layby...

hmmmm

Just think of all the money you will save in the future! I love walking through the baby aisle and buying NOTHING :-)

I'm in on this whole MCN thingy summerluvin!
    Once christy showed me how EASY it was, and that the poo wasn't really an issue, I was converted! You will get excited about mcns. have you ever been excited or passionate about disposables?

Everytime we use a MCN, we add .30c (cheapest disposable nappy costs) to the total amount we have saved by not using them. I think we have saved about nearly $20 so far, and counting.

Hey Nickel, that is a fab idea...I should put away the money that I used to spend on nappies, and save it for....hmmmm....something else. Can't actually think of anything that the little man needs.

I am using my bum-g's now, but we have had a few leaks. DH isn't all that impressed, but I am thinking that maybe they just need another few goes in the old washing machine. I only washed them twice before using, I think I read somewhere that you have to wash them three times first or something. Anyway, will stick at it.

I feel so much better putting the soft fabrics up against his beautiful skin than that plastic stuff.

SL - we are just getting converted ourselves!!! Its very exciting!!!!! Haven't actually got our hot little hands on an actual MCN yet... but hopefully will get some cheapies off ebay just to get ourselves addicted to it
    Then the real obsession starts.... (and to think, I was happy to continue on with my sippy cup obsession... hehe)

Hey Mel! You gotta try em! They are pretty cool. DH isn't all that fussed with all the extra work/washing etc, but so far he has dealt pretty well with it, and he was my biggest hurdle.

I got mine off ebay, and so far, they are ok. I think I needed to wash them some more because we have had a bit of leakage, but he has always been a heavy wetter. So he might just need double inserts or something. Its a work in progress anyways.

Not long for you now...you will have to get your hands on some pink nappies with 'scotia' comes along...hee hee!!

PMSL @ SL..
    Ahhh thats funny that you think its a girl...
    We'll just have to see. You'll have to be hanging out for the birth announcement in July!!!!

Summer, if you're just using the microfibre inserts, perhaps try some bamboo or hemp inserts to add? If you're handy with a sewing machine you could get some material from online and make your own perhaps. I think when Riv was as old as your kiddo the microfibre wasn't enough on its own, he peed too much...

SL - if you wanna try a different kind of insert for him, I have some Green Kids hemp inserts you can borrow. But remember that hemp is the smelly stuff you didn't like! LOL!

As you know, L is a huge wetter and we haven't had a single leak in our BumGs, hoping it stays that way. Our night nappy sagas are enough to deal with!

Well I am thinking that maybe they just hadn't been washed enough and have washed them all for a third time. he had one on this morning when I went for a long bushwalk with a mate and he had done numbers twos and all, with no dampness coming through his clothes. There was a bit of something on his singlet, but he had been jumping up and down in my backpack while we were walking and this business was well and truly smushed everywhere, so those are extenuating circumstances in my book. But so far pretty happy, considering he was in this nappy for a while and had a big bottle this morning.

I don't think hemp is for me...borrowed a hemp insert from another mate and the smell of it nearly knocked me sideways. I am thinking of just getting some more inserts from bum-g becuase the other day I had two microfibre bum-g inserts in there and it worked a treat. I know that hemp is supposed to be much more absorbent, but I am reluctant to go there again, I don't think my nose could cope. LOL.

The other thing is that when I went to wash them for the third time, I tried to see how absorbent they were with just normal water and it just ran straight off the insert, so I am thinking they need a bit more washing...I hear that makes em a bit more absorbent.