thread: 4yo vaccinations - pre-warn or surprise???

Apr 2007
    Gold Coast

4yo vaccinations - pre-warn or surprise???

Hi,

My eldest son is having his 4yo needle this afternoon. Do you (or have you) pre warned your child about having the needle or let it be a surprise???

He hasn't had a needle since his 18months ones and never seen an injection done...so has no idea what its about.

Thanks in advance

Bec sent this on her Samsung using Tapatalk :-)

Feb 2006
    NSW Central Coast

I told DD about it when she had hers. I think you should let him know, though in saying that, you do know your child the best out of anyone and you know how he will take the news! FWIW, my DD took it really well, she had seen he brothers getting immunisations before though so kind of knew what it all was about.

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

I told our DD and she got to go out for ice cream afterwards - that was the treat she wanted.

Apr 2007
    Perth, Australia

Personally I will tell DS, but I won't drag it out all day, I will let him know a couple of hours before going to the Dr.

Mar 2007
    Melbourne

Pre warn. I told both my kids a few days before. I also showed them where the needle was going to be and explained and demonstrated what it might feel like by giving them a little pinch. My kids deal better with knowing what is going on rather than a surprise. The promise of a treat after also helped

Apr 2007
    Gold Coast

yeah...was definitely going to offer a treat...there is a maccas across the road from the doctors that he constantly asks to play in...so i might mention about going there after he is a good, brave boy at the doctors. might begin to prewarn at lunch time (appointment is not til this arvo...and at our doctors they said we have a 30min appointment with the clinic nurse prior to the needle appointment).

My mum thinks i should do the surprise attack...cause that's what she did to us (then maybe that's why I never had any other needles due to fear until i began the TTC fertility treatment journey).

I wish he'd seen me get needles to show its ok too. Hopefully I'm just worrying about nothing and he barely flinches like some of my friends kids.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Bec sent this on her Samsung using Tapatalk :-)

BellyBelly Member
    Add ~*Niadalla*~ on Facebook

Jan 2007
    VIC

I pre warned for a week. I didn't hapr on about it, I just gave DS the facts. I told him it was called an immunisation and it was to stop him getting really really sick and having to go to hospital.

I told him there was a little needle and it would go into his arm and it might hurt for a second, but then it wouldn't hurt at all after that.

He was really great. No tears, no noise. He watched it and it didn't bother him.

Good luck!!

Jun 2007
    Brisbane

I agree with pre-warn. My DS1 had his 4yr vaccinations last week. I kept it simple, said he'd have two needles which would feel like a little pinch and would be over really quickly. When he asked "why" I said it would stop him from getting sick when he was older. I also said I'd take him out for a treat afterwards. I mentioned it 3-4 times in the 24-hours leading up to it, but without making too much of a deal of it as I didn't want him to get worked up about it.

He was pretty good when he had the shots, he sat in my lap and (as you do) I held him nice and close - the nurse was fantatstic too, which helped. She managed to distract him just before she put the needles in - the second one was hardest, as he knew what was coming, but as I said, the nurse was great which went a long way to make DS1 comfortable. She gave both him (and DS2!) a lollipop and sticker immediately afterwards

My boys have seen me have lots of blood tests during the past seven months, but I still don't think it makes much difference when it's them in the chair.

Good luck, but honestly the lead-up to the vaccinations (for mum) is worse than the actual event itself.

Jan 2012
    WA

Lots of discussion here over a few weeks, talking about why we do it ect. I got am WC booster at the same time so i went first.

Add Feijoa Mum on Facebook

Jul 2008
    Forest Lake - Brisbane

I pre-warned but only that morning. I didnt want him thinking too much about it and building into something big.

He did cry a little bit when he got them and did complain of "heavy, sore" arms for the next day or two but other than that he was all good.

He has to have a blood test next week before his operation in two weks. Might give him the heads ups a little earlier for these ones

Jan 2008
    Brisbane

Im going to say that I didn't pre warn DS at his 4yr needles. He had to have needles in the hospital after he fell off a trampoline and they thought he had done some damage. So he would know what is in store and would have not been ok with it.
    He is like me and the more he thinks about something the more he stresses out and it would have ended up being a horrible experience if I had of told him.

Though with DS2 I will tell him as he likes to know whats going on. I think that each child is different so its up to how you think you should go about it!

Sep 2009
    Darwin

I'm going to o against the grain, my DS was not pre warned as we would have not t to the surgery. Let alone get the injection. We did the check up 1st and spoke then about the injection with the nurse and the doctor he was much more settled this way and while he did cry he didn't fight it... Normally they would need to wrap him in a blanket and hold home down plus I would have to drag him kicking and screaming for a needle. So I would have been really stressed from the get go. This really was the best option for us! You know your child best though.
    Good luck

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Sep 2011

Hi,
    I'd definately let them know what's happening beforehand. I let our 4 yr old know that it would be a short, sharp jab (I flicked his arm and he said 'but that didn't hurt!).
    They're actually pretty full on, with tetanus in one of the arms, so I'd take some kiddy panadol, just in case. I hadn't used panadol for immunisations before, but he was miserable afterwards and didn't even want to eat the chocolate I had taken.

Aug 2010
    Gold Coast

I prewarned. DS was cool with it, he doesn't care much about needles though. He shocked the ladies doing it they told me to half lay on him and hold his arms, I told them it wasn't necessary but they insisted. When they stuck the needle in he watched and chatted to them asking what they were doing. When he saw the vial of blood he demanded they give it back cause he needs it Afterwards he got a lollipop and he was happy as Larry. DS2 had his after and DS1 got distressed then because his baby was crying, so cute
    Good luck! Xxxx

Aug 2010
    Gold Coast

Double post

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

I pre-warned and used Emla patches on the arms beforehand to numb the area and DD1 didn't feel a thing. I will probably do the same for DD2

Mar 2007
    Melbourne

I pre-warned and used Emla patches on the arms beforehand to numb the area and DD1 didn't feel a thing. I will probably do the same for DD2
    Oh yes! Did this as well. The Emla patch was wonderful.

Oct 2006
    Melbourne

I pre-warned DD but only about an hour before we were due to leave. I didn't want to spring it on her but I also didn't want her to worry about it for too long.
    I also explained to her why she had to have it. I'm glad I did it that way as she was completely fine with it, no tears at all and nowhere near the drama I was expecting it to be. Good luck!