thread: Is there anythig else I should be doing for my sick 2yo?

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Dec 2008
    Melbourne, VIC

Is there anythig else I should be doing for my sick 2yo?

So we have all been sick for over a week now (sore chest, runny nose, lots of coughing, sneezing etc) and I actually had to go back to my doc yesterday as I haven't been feeling any better since last week, so she finally gave me antibiotics. I got sick last week Saturday and I feel 10 times worse now than I did then. Anyhoo, my LO is now sick too, with a runny/blocked nose, lots of coughing, but luckily no big temps (just slightly elevated). Last night he was up every hour, crying, because he couldn't breathe through his nose as he also wanted his dummy. I am so tired today . So we had the vicks on the chest and feet, the vapouriser in the bedroom, the head of the mattress lifted slightly, room was not cold, gave him panadol and the cough supressant mixture before bed. Is there anything else I could do to make his sleep more comfortable? He could only be settled whilst upright on me, and then he was able to breathe a bit better.

TIA.

Nov 2009
    Scottish expat living in Geelong

For a 2 year old I would be avoiding the cough suppressant unless there was no alternative. It will just decrease his ability to clear his chest and increase the length and possibly the severity of his cold. In these situations I usually slept as upright as I could holding the sick baby and that meant we both got the maximum amount of sleep. You will both need loads of fluids so breastmilk, water and warm drinks like a warm cordial will help sooth his chest from within. Saline drops down his nose might help him breath a little easier (or again breastmilk if you are BFing) and lots of rest. Hope you are both feeling better soon xx

Dec 2008
    Melbourne, VIC

Thanks Traveller. I'm giving him lots of fluids, unfortunatelly he doesn't have much milk at all these days, normally he's happy eating yogurts and cheeses (only a bit of cow milk with his cereal). I only give him the cough mixture at night as if he's not waking himself up with a blocked nose, it's with the coughing. During the day he cougs up the flem but then he swallows it I think.

Nov 2009
    Scottish expat living in Geelong

you could try warm cordial then instead of milk, with a little bit of honey which is often soothing. Huge hugs, it's bad enough being ill yourself but it's so hard watching your little one unwell

Apr 2009
    Sydney

Sounds like you're doing all you can Miss B. lots of TLC for you and your little sick person xoxox

Feb 2008
    on a journey called life, finding our way home

Hello, I know how you feel we are in the same boat as you my DS is sick aswell as well as me. You sound like you are doing a great job. I am using a nasal drops for junior its an Otrivin one I only use it at night time for him but it works really well.
    HTH

Feb 2006
    NSW Central Coast

Through the night, I would keep up with 4hrly panadol, and try to have him propped up as high as is comfortable in bed. Do you have a humidifyer? They help my kids when they have a cold. Has he been checked out by a doctor recently since his cold/ I thought my DS2 only had a cold, but he had been sick for over 5 days and I took him to the doc, and he had an ear infection too. So now he's on AB's for that.
    I hope you're all better soon.

Dec 2008
    Melbourne, VIC

Thanks ladies. He was miserable all day today, hardly ate anything which is a worry, but then again I know when I'm sick I don't feel like eating either. He has kept up his panadol and liquids though. He had a little bit of brekkie, tiny bit of lunch and a spoon or two of this rice and fruit from a jar as that's all he was wiling to take. I even cooked him a nice chicken and noodle soup and he didn't eat it . I've made an app. last week to see doc tomorrow if he wasn't better, so I'll take him and see what she says. Poor little chook, I hate seeing him like this, and feel even worse for giving it to him

Mar 2006

You're doing such a great job. It's hard when they're unwell.

The one thing I found for my DD when she was little and had a cold, the elevated bed head just wasn't enough. But I couldn't hold her upright all night either. However the pram was a good compromise! Stumbled across it purely by accident but it worked and I didn't question it! I strapped her in, made sure the breaks were on, and parked her in my room.

Hope you all feel better soon.