thread: #1 appears to be on the way!!

FindingTime Guest

#1 appears to be on the way!!

Well long time reader first time poster here .....
    I have been reading the TTC section of this forum for the last few months with the intention of posting something but it appears that its too late and i have to move into here!!

We have been TTC for a couple of months now and even tho AF wasnt due untill the 27th of this month on the 20th i took a HPT and got a faint but still there

I tested again on the 27th and low and behold it was a VERY prominant

I have booked and appointment with the local GP for Friday but i'm not all that keen as i have had some bad experiences with the doctors at this medical centre when i broke my shoulder and i'm afraid they are going to be dismissive and rude again ....

So could someone please share some wisdom as to what exactly goes on in that first visit?? I HATE going to the doctors and i generally have to have some kind of head injury before i will go willingly to the hospital!
    I really am starting to stress about it already!!

BellyBelly Life Subscriber & MPM

Feb 2007
    Melbourne

Congratulations!!!

Re: your GP visit - with mine, all I got was a referral to my hospital. They didn't require me to do any tests, they said if I got a positive test then I must be pregnant LOL! Some Drs may get you to do a pregnancy test while you're there or even give you a referral for a blood test.

Good luck

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2008

to BB and congratulations on your pg

What happens in your first visit to your GP really depends on your GP. They can do any number of things. Often they will refer you for a blood test, he may take a urine sample, may refer you for a dating ultrasound, possibly have a feel of your tummy, check that all your immunisations and papsmear are up to date, possibly ask you if you have considered whether you want to go privately or publically and talk to you about your pg care options.

They usually don't do anything invasive so you don't have to stress about that.

Don't expect your GP to be overly excited for you - some are, some aren't. For some of them it is just part of their job and they are really impartial.

If you are going to do share care (sharing between midwives and your own GP) as your care option during pg, you may want to find a GP that you like and that you feel comfortable with.

I hope your first GP appointment goes well.

Wishing you a very happy and healthy 9 months!

PS - Once you know your EDD (estimated due date) find your belly buddies group in the pregnancy forums. They will all be going through the same things as you and will be a great place to vent, compare stories and get loads of general info relevant to you.

Add ElleJay on Facebook Follow ElleJay On Twitter

Jun 2007
    Western Australia

Congrats and here's hoping you have a H & H 9 months

Aug 2008
    qld

congratulations

Nov 2007
    Off with the fairies.

Congratulations!
    I hope you have a smooth and healthy pregnancy.

All the best.
    xox

Apr 2006
    In the ning nang nong...

Congratulations on your BFP(s) Depends on the GP, but you could get asked to do another urine test and they'll organise for some blood tests to be done, maybe arrange a dating ultrasound. Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy (and no unnecessary visits to hospitals or doctors!)

Jul 2005
    Sydney

congratulations on your pregnancy! if you tell the doc you are unsure of your dates you may be able to go for a dating scan which will be able to see bub sooner than otherwise

Sep 2008
    South West Sydney, NSW

Congratulations - here is to a happy and healthy pregnancy