Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newly pregnant, first time older mum to be

deedeeze Guest

Hi Gigi & Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!
    I hope your morning sickness eases soon

Congrats on your pregnancy!!

Congratulations Gigi!!

Hi Gigi,

Congratulations!! We are having another baby which was a bit of a surprise. We had given away all our baby stuff to charity and now have to buy new all over again ! Buying a secondhand cot is okay, then you can spend the money that you save on a good matress, which is very important. We wont bother with a bassinette this time - baby will go straight into the cot. Breast feeding will save you heaps of money, and layby is an expectant mothers best friend. I think thats why pg lasts 9 months - so you can save up to be able to afford everything, lol.
    Also, dont buy too many clothes, because you'll get lots of pressies and babies grow so quick.
    But most important, DON'T STRESS!! Just relax and it will all come together. Enjoy the pregnancy ( after m/s of course ) !!

Hi Gigi!

Congratulations on your BFP!!!!

I would just like to give you a little bit of reassurance about the $4000 baby bonus. Don't worry, the government will not change its laws by October! You will definitely get the $4000. It's here to stay for a few years at least....

Have a lovely pregnancy and hope your budget planning goes ok. There's always ebay for baby clothes....

Congratulations Gigi! All the best for a Happy and healthy pregnancy

Ebay is great for lots of things, borrowing from family/freinds is also a HIGE help

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

dear everyone who posted:

i have not been able to get on this forum for at least a week (site maintenance or something) (didn't want you to think i was rude and ignoring your messages) but it is lovely to be able to log in today and be able to read all these kind messages.

It is really useful to me to hear from parents who have gone thru it already and know what you can do without (like the bassinnette) and what it is do-able to get secondhand.

I have now had my first midwife clinic and been told i have fabulous blood pressure. I am taking this as a good start!

I have a very limited social network (estranged from violent family) so i am so grateful to hear from all of you, it is just nice to hear your experiences and i am learning from all of you, so thank you so much.

thank you all so much =D>

Hi Gigi and congrats on your pregnancy!

We too are surviving on a small wage. We purchased most of the stuff we needed on credit card before Maddy was born, made the minimum repayments (had I been able to work past 4 months pg I would have paid these off in advance) and as soon as the baby bonus came through; we put it all on the credit cards.

My best advice is to not be drawn in by all of the bells and whistles. Shop around, compare prices and then ask other stores to match these sale prices. Many will then out-do the quoted price for your business.

A lot of baby shops will give you a 5-10% discount on your purchases when you make a purchase/lay-by of $500 and over (or something similiar).

We bought Maddy's carseat brand-new; and it cost us $170. You can get this same carseat on special at around $150. It's a convertible carseat (facing backwards from birth - 8kg; turn around to forward facing for 8/9kg+). It isn't flashy but it fits our car (we have a hatchback), it's got the Australian safety tick and compared to the $300 models, it was a great bargain. Effectively, you're paying for flashy material covering in the more expensive models.

If you dont want to pay through the tooth for prams; perhaps you could buy a second hand one or look into Ebay for a person selling stock through an Ebay store. Also, many of the strollers come in layback models which can be used from birth+. You could easily get one of these for under $200; whereas alot of prams are quite a bit more than this.

Hi Gigi
    Congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope you are feeling reassured that you are not too old at all. I'm 39 and I met my current man at 34 but it took me a few years to convince him before we could TTC.

As for raising a bub on a low income - just remember people have been doing it for thousands of years. Second hand is fantastic. It's also so much better for the environment.

Congratulations on your BFP. Try not to stress to much, I know it can be very daunting and the first 12 weeks or in my case 15-18 you really don't feel human but it will go away. Having a summerry baby is great, I myself have 4 of them, this one is my first winter one. The good thing is they don't need as many clothes, lol. The best option is to lay by stuff when they are on special, like your carseat, cot, pram and a high chair can be put off untill bub is a few months old or use the maternity money to buy these things after bub is born. If you get all of your paperwork for centrelink filled out and your partner can take it into centrelink the day after baby is born. Payment will be made very quickly. When I had DD#4 DH took the paper work in the day after I had her (Wednesday) and on Friday (I swear this was very super quick) we found $3000 in the bank. (Although I think they say to wait 2 weeks before calling them about non payment lol) You will also be able to recieve FTB Part A and PART B aswell as Parenting Allowence I think. The best thing to do would be to make an appointment in a few months time with Centrelink to discuss what you are entitled too. When you have Baby the hospital will give you a Centrelink claim book and you just fill it out and take it in and you will start getting these payments.
    You really only need a few things for baby in that first week, Buy things when they are on special, I love Best and Less for new singlets and they always have 2 for one deals. The fun will be shopping for bub after he/she is born and you have all that money in the bank. Don't buy too many 0000 and 000 things they grow very quickly. Pace yourself you do have plenty of time. I also find that by adding a few items like nappy wipes, lotions and baby soap and shampoo, nappies also breast pads and maternity pads to each shopping trip will lighten the load when the time comes. Hope this helps
    Bye Dee

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

what great practical advice 7th Heaven. I am having a summery baby too, and will take your words of advice happily. No doubt after four bubs, you are VERY good at being practical! THhs is just the stuff i have been wondering about. Thank you so much =D>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12