Thread: 12 wk scan

Default 12 wk scan

i see alot of mums to be on here talking about their 12 week scans..

will i get one of these on my first visit to the antenatal clinic (first visit on 16th may)?? if not how can i get one, as dh has been bugging me for the last 3 weeks to get a scan to make sure everything is ok.

can i just book one myself or do i need a referral?

i am going to hate the next 2 weeks waiting for my first appointment because i don't know what to expect. But, i really, really hope i can get a scan.

CatherineL Guest

I had my referal at about 8 weeks for my 12 week scan, and i'm not sure about where you live, but it takes a few weeks to get in for a scan cause it's so busy! My clinic actually told me that if a scan is to be done, it needs to be done between 11 and 13 weeks and preferably 12 weeks just incase the dating isn't exact (ovulated late etc.). I already have my scan booked for my 19 week scan.. BTW - i went private for scans and Doctors, and if i were you and you were going private - i would just ring a clinic you will be getting your scan at and book in and go to your doctor and get your referal for blood tests and scan... blood test has to be done 3 days before the scan, as they collate the bloods with the scan to tell if everything is A O.K!

I had to get a referral from the antenatal clinic to have the scan. I booked in straight away and there was a charge of $240 and I then got $60 back from Medicare. Maybe you could ring the antenatal clinic and ask them to send u a referral for the scan so you dont get told its too late.

Hello - you do need a referral for a Scan and this is not likely to be done at the antenatal appt. As the others have said I would call and book in for the scan and then get the referral for the blood test and the scan if you want it done. The timing is important and the scans can get booked up. You could also call ahead of your appt to talk to the midwife/Dr about this as if they are only seeing you at 12 weeks you may want to arrange it earlier. It is not always offered (esp if you are quite young/low risk) so they may have overlooked or assumed you did not want this.
    In terms of what to expect at the appt, i think they will all be diff. I am seeing a private OB so mine may not be the same as yours - but I had a breast and heart check, BP checked, weight (she does this only at beg), spoke about hosp, birth options etc etc...

Congrats on your pregnancy. I had my first ob visit when I was 9 weeks he gave me a referal for the blood test and scan for Down Syndrom which needs to be done no later then 12 weeks and 6 days (from memory) and the blood test 3 days before as Catherine said.

If your are unsure I would call your Doc and ask him about it and if you want a scan then ask for one.

Everyones first visit is different as different Doctors do different things. I had my blood pressure done and an ultrasound to confirm how far along I was at my first visit.
    Dont stress about it, it's very exciting. I would just make a list of any questions you have and take it with you.

the 12 week scan is optional and is at a cost to you, no refund from medcare. it's the nuchal translucency test. My bloods were taken at 11 weeks 1 day and then my scan is tomorrw at 12 weeks 1 day apparently the scan is best done beween no earlyer than 12 weeks and no later than 13 weeks 6 days. if you go see your normal gp s/he can give you a referal for both the bloodtest and the scan hope that helps

CatherineL Guest

I got $90 back from medicare and i am not on any sort of pension.

i'll check that out... when i phoned for my appointment i was told that it is non refundable and 3 of my pregnant friends have all had the same, i wonder if they just tellus that to try and stop us from having the 12 week done? also mine is costing $150 is that to much?

CatherineL Guest

Mine cost $250.. i am not sure why so much more, but that was also for a 4D scan, i'm not sure if yours is 4D or not?

I had a 4d scan and it cost me $250 with a dvd. I got money back from medicare, cant remember how much though.

Maybe there is differences between public and private? I have private health (no money back from them though) and see a private ob.

My first 12 weeks scan was free the other only cost me $30 as the rest was paid by medicare.

CatherineL Guest

Yeah me too Ozstar! It depends what your policy is to receive anything back from your health fund!

Tegan - i'm guessing you went public?

Yeah i was public.

CatherineL Guest

Is your public system good there Tegan? Here, it is so long for anything to get done!