Thread: 1st OB appt

Default 1st OB appt

Hi Guys,

Quick question - I've got my first OB appt week after next (12 weeks) and was wondering what I should be expecting there?

Also should my DH come along? He's going to come with me to the U/S, which is the next day, but I'm not sure if he should come to the OB too (not sure if I want him there if I'm going to get poked and prodded a lot LOL!!) 8-[

Have a great weekend!
    Bertie

Hi Bertie, I had my first OB appointment at 10 weeks, my DH has been to every OB appointment with me during my pregnancy.

OB asked all the normal health questions, asked how old my parents are - not sure why?? Took my BP and did a u/s that was it. I haven`t had any internals apart from the Strep B swab when I was 29 weeks pregnant.

HTH

Take Care

Deeanne

Hi Bertie!

I had my appointment a couple of weeks ago. It was all pretty general. Talking over things. She had a feel of my belly (may be a bit different for you because you're further along than I was), checked my breathing and breasts. She didn't do anything internal at all. She also asked if I had any questions so gave me plenty of time to talk. Asked if I wanted to breastfeed. All up the appointment went for about 45min! Which I thought was pretty good. I felt really comfortable. Oh and she also checked my weight - grr! hehe. The worst thing was you do it in all of your clothes - and shoes - I would never do that at home! hehe.

As for your dh, it's not really essential that he be there. My dh came to the ultrasound and was going to come to the dr appointment but had to work. I think he just would have been bored at the drs.

Oh they also ask about both of your family historys - so maybe ask him a few questions before you go.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Bertie,

At my first OB appointment I had to:

~ Fill in a load of forms
    ~ Have my weight, BP taken
    ~ Did a wee sample
    ~ Checked my cycle history and we worked out the EDD together
    ~ He also did a kind of general check of my boobs, my breathing etc
    ~ He also asked me a heap of questions about my previous health, how long we had been TTC for, previous operations, and a lot of questions about my general lifestyle (smoking, drinking, excercise) and previous family history, particularly in relation to diabetes etc
    ~ He then spent quite a bit of time explaining how he would take care of me, in terms of timings of appts, how to get hold of him if I needed him, how to go about making bookings for the hospital etc etc

I didn't ever bother taking my partner to the appts.....he only came to the big appts like the 18-20 week scan, and in this pregnancy he came to the amniocentisis with me.........he would have come to all of them as he was always quite interested, but it was simply easier for me to go by myself.

Thanks guys - at least I will be a little bit prepared!

I found out yesterday that DH has a training course the day of my OB appt, so he won't be able to come anyway - probably a good thing, as it'll be good to have the chance to ask lots of questions and chat without worrying that DH is sitting there squirming!!! He'll come to the NT scan, which is booked in for the next day.

I'm looking forward to seeing the OB, as I'm hoping it'll all start to feel a bit more real after that...

Have a great day,
    Bertie

Bertie,

You have hit the nail on the head with your comment about making it feel more "real".......that was certainly the case with me.........I found that I looked forward to each appt and I developed a great rapport with my OB, the midwifes in his practice and the nurses/receptionists, so it was like they were all barracking for me & my baby!!