Thread: Acrylic Nails

hopefullmum2b Guest

Question Acrylic Nails

Hi all,

This is probally a silly question, but does anyone know if it is ok to get Acrylic Nails done while being pregnant. ?

I would like to know that as well actually. I did have acrylics on when I found out I was pregnant, but I took them off because I was worried about the chemicals. I'm also too scared to dye my hair. Needless to say i'm feeling like a real feral at the moment!

Hayley

hopefullmum2b Guest

I have acrylic nails on at the moment got them done about 3 weeks ago and they need to be infilled badly, but don't want to if it is going to be harmful.

hopefullmum2b Guest

many thanks 2 u all for your reply's, think will wait till they fall off and get them done again before bub is due.

Hi I had the same dilemma when I first found out I was pregnant - I had just gotten my nails done a few weeks before and they were due for a refill. If my memory serves me correctly, a fellow BB member Sarah_H let me know that it is totally fine to continue having them done whilst being pregnant!

In my situation tho, I just decided to let the nails fall off (lazy me) and luckily throughout my pregnancy they have grown really well!!! (I've never had nails like this before!) Another consideration is once your newborn is here, it might be a little more difficult to pick them up, dress them, change them and so forth, if you aren't used to having Acrylic nails...HTH!

Acrylic nails are fine. If the fumes are a bit strong ask them for a mask or a small fan to blow the fumes away from your face.

Yep Fran, it was me

I had my nails done all the way through my pregnancy without a problem. Where I get them done, there are currently two (of three LOL) girls that are pregnant & they don't wear masks at all. One of them has a pituitary tumour & has a high risk pregnancy so she researched it & approved it with her OB so she could continue working. The only issue the OB said could be the smell increasing morning sickness, but it might not bother you at all.

Yep, I had my nails done through my pregnancy with my DD, up until about 6 or 7 months. I stopped getting them done then, but only because I knew once I was off work it was probably a luxury I could do without and I just didn't want long nails with a baby.

I'd had them done constantly for about 4 years so I needed time to wean myself off! LOL.

Willow I had said the same thing to Aaron, that I'd stop getting them done after Zander was born. He (and my mum LOL) said no way, as it was the ONLY thing I do for myself.

Ive had mine for over 8 years and im currently 18wks pg and have continued to do them throughout the pg - my last two nail techs were pg and both worked right through their pg's and both have healthy bubs. Although I will have to start getting them a bit shorter and get the corners rounded off so they arent so sharp once bub arrives.

Lisa

I was advised by my IVF nurse and doctor to be very carefull about chemicals. Their advise to me was simply: quote: Remember whatever you put onto your body and whatever you breath goes straight into your blood system and to the baby even in small amounts. So they said in their opinion do not dye hair , do not do nails not even nail polish(remember you must use accetone to take it off), no eye drops , no nasal sprays, do not use anything with mineral oils and whatever you do do not use oven cleaners - oven cleaners are really really toxic and have been known to cause m/c. Whether they are right or not makes no difference to me - after alot of research into the matter and alot of discussions with other doctors I beleive in their opinion and would not take the risk - but on the other hand I have had friends that have done all the above even smoked and drank and had normal healthy babies - but for me i will take the safe route and go organic and natural - big life change but won't kill me.

hopefullmum2b Guest

Smile

Hi Lissie, and thanks for your reply I will take into consideration what you posted, and good luck in TTC .

Lisa, I wasn't worried about them being sharp, I was worried about the "stuff" that might get stuck under there! Ewwww! LOL!

I'v not had a problem with any icky stuff under mine, although they are pretty short for acrylics.

CatherineL Guest

Same as LisaL.. My nail tech worked full time right though her pregnancy!!

I had my nails done though my pregnancy with no problems, my SIL who is pregnant atm and does nails also has hers done.

Ellie

MummyTrina Guest

someone said earlier that they are going to get their nails re-done just before bub arrives... i would be careful, when i was in labour they made me take all stuff off my nails cos i was headed in for an emergency cesar cos they need to check your nail beds for oxygen levels or something like that. just something to keep in mind

Really Trina?? With my emergency c/s all they did was remove the polish, not the actual acrylic. Might be dependant on the hospital??