Thread: anxiety!

Default anxiety!

i rang up the hospital yesterday - the outpatient part where i am going for my first antenatal appointment next week... i had to ask them if im getting an ultrasound or scan or something like that because i am really anxious and i really want to see it or see its heart beat , or hear it or something just so i know that the pregnancy is ok....! and they said no - they dont routinely do any till week 16!

then i was so upset and i went straight to the gp (the kind where you just show up and wait to see the next available doctor) i was in tears, hysterical...

he said that there is no point doing anything this early on because you wont see or hear heart beat yet and it wont alleviate my fears at all!

im ten weeks nearly 11 weeks... im sure people get ultrasounds this early - im really confused!

the anxiety i get is mainly at night and its teeth grinding anxiety and genaral fear that i have a dead baby inside of me :-(

Hey Bluetree,
    I know what you mean about anxiety- and yep nights are the worst!
    You can definitely have ultrasounds this early and you can decect a heartbeat from very early on. The downside is that I think you have to pay for them yourself unless you have something going on- bleeding ect.
    My first was at 6 1/2 weeks (heartbeat detected/ not easy for me to see )and cost $170 of which some is claimable on Medicare. My second @ 8 1/2 weeks showed a much bigger 'blob' with a heartbeat visible(flickering) on the screen.This was a quick one performed by my ob after I had some spotting.
    I thought most hospitals do one @ 12 weeks so you can have the nuchal translucancy test for Downs Syndrome?
    Im sure everything is fine...Try not to stress too much- easier said than done I know!
    Take Care

You can usually see and hear a heartbeat by about 6-8 weeks. And I find it odd that your hospital doesn't offer a scan until 16 weeks as the first trimester screening for downs is done at around 12-13weeks???

Try not to worry but I wouls ask the hospital to organise your first trimester screening (if that's what you want) and that way you will get to see your little bub.

~Belinda~ Guest

Blue, I find this odd. I requested an early scan at 7 weeks and my little jellybean had a heartbeat - I had to pay for that ultrasound myself though as I requested it.

You should be getting an ultrasound done at 13 weeks for nuchal translucency also. I had this done and it gave me a ratio of down syndrome risk etc.

Then you should have your 20 week one which is very detailed (takes about an hour - well mine did) and they look at all vital organs etc.

I have a private Ob and also see our little girl at every appointment, my Ob has a machine in his room.

So yes, I would be going to see a different doctor or change your hospital because if you are worried and request one, I don't think you should be told you can't.

I know how you feel though, I wanted an early one too. Good luck in getting that early scan! You deserve to put your mind at rest!

Blue - my gp gave me a referral for a dating scan as she thought my uterus felt bigger than it should be on my dates. I had to pay for the scan ($90 of which I got $50 back from medicare) but at 7 1/2 wks saw the heartbeat very clearly. If you are worried I would look into getting a scan on your own - the gp can give a referral for dating or viability.... if it will calm you and take away some of your stress it is so very worth it Hope you are feeling better soon....

With my 1st I wasn't sure of my dates so they my gp gave me a referral for a dating scan, and I didn't have to pay. I was told if it was your first scan and being used for dating that there was no gap. Go to a different gp and say "I'm pregnant but don't know my dates" and see what happens! I went public the first time and my hospital (WCH) didn't see me till 16 weeks either, so I was really glad my gp had the scan and bloods done for my reassurance. This time I'm going private and my OB ordered everything for week 12.

blue - I had an early scan due to risk of ectopic so they can definitely do them early. My first scan was at 5 weeks and all I could see was the gestational sac. My second scan I could see a little blob and we heard/saw the heartbeat. Both scans were the external ones too!

I didn't have to pay for either. My GP gave me a referral to an xray & ultrasound place and they bulk billed me. As the other ladies have said, go see a different GP and say you don't know your dates and ask for an ultrasound to be done.

You may not be getting an u/s but be reassured that public/private/midwifery clinic - they will use a doppler at each and every appointment to make sure they can hear the heartbeat. I was public last time and went to an outposting midwifery clinic and without fail, at every single appt, I got to hear the heartbeat and was reassured that it was within normal limits.

Remember you really won't see much on an early scan anyway - just a little blob with a flashing light for the heartbeat - I find actually hearing the heartbeat on a doppler far more reassuring than the u/s anyway.

Last time my first scan was at 19 weeks. This time I had a dating scan at 8 weeks - my bulk billing GP referred me but the scan cost me $150 of which only $50 was claimable from medicare. If you really want a scan, you can demand a referral but be prepared to pay.

hi all, thanks for replies.. i went my own gp on monday and she gave me a referral to get an ultrasound, and i have booked it for next week ... also she took bloods. and my first antenatal appointment is this week! i am going through a public hospital and ive figured out that if you are private you get a scan earlier than in public. but about the down syndrome testing - im sure i read that they u/s for it before 12 weeks! confused, well im sure it will all be clarified at my appointment - its just not coming soon enough!

The downs u/s (called a nuchal fold test) can be done anywhere from 10-13 weeks, so all will be fine. Hope your 1st appt goes well.