Thread: Anyone with a bicornuate uterus?

Default Anyone with a bicornuate uterus?

I've apparently got a bicornuate uterus (that is, a heart shaped uterus).
    Am interested to hear whether anyone else has this shape of uterus, and whether your pregnancy proceeded relatively normally?

My pregnancy has been a bit scary so far. :-s I've been bleeding pretty heavily on and off since about week 5. Have had lots of ultrasounds - and so far the baby seems oblivious to all the bleeding and is growing well, strong heartbeat etc. (Latest bout of bleeding started yesterday. TMI to follow - I filled 12 maternity pads in four hours!! But u/sound today shows baby seems to be fine. Today's u/sound revealed a new large haematoma in my uterus, fortunately not near the placenta, that is the site of the bleeding).

My obstetrician seems to think that I'm bleeding as a result of blood vessels bursting as my unusually shaped uterus stretches and grows.

If you, or someone you know has a bicornuate uterus, did you bleed a lot during your pregnancy? Did you carry to full term? Was the baby breech?

Look forward to hearing your replies.

Thanks.

Hi Kirsty,

I think I may have replied to you a few months back that I also have a bicornuate uterus.

I`m just over 37 weeks now and bubs has been head down since my 29 week appointment, I did have 2 episodes of spotting but it was in the early days approx at 9 and 11 weeks and after the second time I put it down to BDing, it was only a couple of spots of blood but did worry me at the time.

At my 9 week appointment I was told there would be a very high possibility that bubs would be breech, thankfully he decided to be nice to Mummy and is in the correct position.

12 maternity pads in 4 hours seems like an awful lot of blood loss, I can see why you are concerned. Could you perhaps get a second opinion??

Let us know how you get on.

Take Care

Deeanne

Thanks for your reply Deeanne. I am so happy to hear your pregnancy is going well & that your lil one is in the right position. I remember your earlier post about the b.u. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post again this time. It's good to hear things seem to be going well & quite normally for you. Fingers crossed that things settle down with me soon. It's kind of hard for hubby and I to get too excited about the pregnancy when there's all this bleeding and uncertainty.

Kirsty - I hope things work out for you and you have a very happy and healthy pregnancy.

Good Luck

Take Care

Deeanne

katanya Guest

Kirsty I just wanted to reassure you that I had several bleeds throughout my pregnancy, early on, then old blood for 2 days @ 20 week and then @ 24 weeks..and then @ 30 weeks I actually went to the hospital with bleeding old blood again and they put me in overnight for observation..ended up bleeding lots of bright red blood, so they gave me steriods and were on alert for c-section..it all slowed down and went away..nothing showed up on ultrasound, no more bleeding until my show at 41 + weeks(when I was happy to see the blood!)
    My labour was straightforward and no complications (unless you call an induction a complication because the little devil wouldn't come out!)
    I have had no explaination to the bleeding, but no problems since!

My friend has a reversed uterus(not the same but an unusual thing), and had 2 children without them picking it up, they only noticed recently when they were going to put an IUD in. The gyno said what were your labours like, and she replied..first one was 7 hours, the second 5 hours! He fell off his chair and said that was amazing because usually labours are longer with reversed uterus'

Any what I am try to say is, even though you have been through some stressful times lately, there is no reason why the rest of your pregnancy and labour cannot be very normal!

I am sending lots of *positive vibes* to you [-o< it all goes well for you!

Hi Katanya,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me your story. It's great to hear you have a lovely bouncing baby. Wish there was more information about bleeding during pregnancy readily available to preggy girls. I've done sooo much research and basically am none the wiser!

katanya Guest

kirsty

I know what you mean, I would search all the books and internet on bleeding, and I could only find stuff on bleeding in your first trimester (on aniversary of your AF) and then stuff on bleeding late in your late 3rd..nothing about bleeding in your 2nd trimester and what it could mean?

I still dont know what it was, and I found the fact the OBs/Gyno's weren't able to give me any indication very frustrating.

One thing I must say, each time it happens do not hesitate to ring your GP or go to the hospital, as bleeding in pregnancy is not normal according to my GP. I ignored it at 20 weeks and 24 weeks, and only went to hospital @ 30 weeks due to the GP's words..

Anyhow, I guess there must be some reason for it, but as far as I'm concerned it didn't matter in the end, because I got my healthy bub!

I'm sure your bub will be just as healthy and fine!