Thread: anyone else repulsed by vegetables?

smelly Guest

Default anyone else repulsed by vegetables?

Hi everyone,
    I'm 12 weeks pregnant, and a little concerned by the fact that I've become complete repulsed by vegetables (except potato). I used to LOVE vegies - I'd often take salads for lunches and eat a huge plate of steamed vegies at dinner. But for the past 6 weeks I haven't even been able to get them to my mouth. And today I almost vomited at the fruit and veg store when I bought broccoli (my husband wanted it)! I'm also finding it difficult to eat wholegrain breads/cereals and brown rice like I used to, so I'm eating white bread (with lots of cheese), white rice and fairly unhealthy breakfast cereals.
    Has this happened to anyone else. I'm concerned because I had every intention of keeping up my healthy eating habits when I got pregnant but it all seems to have gone pear-shaped. I've only put on 1kg so far, but am worried that my diet will be too unhealthy for the baby and that I'll put on too much weight.
    How is everyone else going with the "healthy eating"?
    Thanks ladies!

Thank goodness I am not the only one. I have been totally repulsed by the thought of eating vegetables for the past 6 or 7 weeks, especially things like brocolli which was my all time favourite. I am coping alright with salad, and I can eat a ver yvery very small amount of vegetables if I dont have to cook them, but the thought of sitting down to a stirfry or steamed vegies makes me feel physically ill.

me to me to !!! the smell of steaming veges and the look makes me gag (or worse) I can handle salads if they i can just pick out bits and am now handling cherries and grapes (apple has been my only staple fruit since the start and I usually hate apples) but veges, wholemeal bread etc are no go zones, I can't even eat weetbix as it makes me terribly ill. I'm hoping once the sickness disappears to be able to introduce myself to veges again.

Everyone gets turned off different things, its really normal!! last pregnancy I couldn't handle red meat for ages..... and anything with a strong smell made me want to gag!!
    Hopefully the sickness will settle down for you, and you'll be able to get back to a good diet. But dont stress about it now - just make sure you ae taking some good supplements.
    Fi

angelique Guest

That is soo funny because I am totally opposite!! I cant stand to eat meat of any kind. I have to force myself at least once a week to eat it but it makes me feel sick. I guess it is because my iron level is high and before I was pregnant i was a real meat eater. Maybe since you were always eating veggies before hand, now your body does not require them as much. Just eat what u can. I have given up on meat now, I just have no desire for it.

Hey,

before getting pregnant, i would mostly have veggies and rice for dinner but that changed about the same time i got my BFP!!

I couldnt stand the texture of the veggies and the thought of rice made me want to be sick! Corn and potato where the only things i could stand.

Its slowly starting to get back to normal now (im 23 weeks) and ive had a few veggie stir frys in the past month or so.

i did start getting a bit of a love of steak tho! Weird for me, but its pretty normal when ur pg to start hating/loving different things...... ohhh i hate eggs (use to love eggs on toast and in a cesar) and i lovvveeeeee tuna now!

smelly Guest

Well, what a relief!! Thank you for your replies!
    It really is quite amazing how much my appetite for food has changed. Prior to this pregnancy I was known for having a strong stomach - I always tried to eat healthily, but liked and could tolerate just about anything put in front of me. That's certainly not the case anymore!
    As for eating apples - I'm the same!!! I used to hate apples but lately have been thanking my lucky stars that they exist. At least there's one green thing I can eat each day! Also, I might try the tip of asking my husband to cook the evening meal - maybe if I don't have to smell the vegies cooking I'll have better luck at getting them down.
    Thanks again, ladies!!
    All the best!

the thought of food in general is a major yuck for me right now - i am only eating cos i know i have to if i don't i get really sick and heart burn - the smell of cooking in general is terrible this is NOT a fun game -