Thread: Aquaerobics while pregnant

Default Aquaerobics while pregnant

Hi girls and guys,

Well I am just pregnant and I have no idea how far along I am yet. but I want to do some light exercise, I was thinking aquarbociss at stateswim.

Does it have to be pregnancy aquarobics ? or can I do it anywhere?

I never did this with my first pregnancy so I am not sure, but I really want to have a vbac so I want to start to do this now.

TIA

Hi HotMumma,

I'd suggest contacting the place where you want to do the aquaerobics and see what their policy is on it.

I know where I go that my instructor ran our classes up until she was 37wks, and she would get in the pool with us for most things. She'd always ask at the beginning if there were any pregnant women, and that they would only do what she did and could stop anytime they wanted to.

Hi HotMumma

Aquaerobics are fine. They are probably one of the best forms of exercise during pregnancy. You do not need to go to a pregnancy specific class you can go to any, just make sure that they know you are pregnant. Your level of exercise would depend on your pre-pregnancy exercise and fitness. You can exercise to the same level as you did prior to becoming pregnant. If your pre-pregnancy exercise level was low or non-existent then start of with something light (eg just walking in the water) and slowly build up.

I did pregnancy aqua for a little bit, which was a class run at the pool at my hospital.

I tried to get into a genral aqua class at the local swimming pool but they said I coudlnt because the class wasnt specially for pregnancy... they said the temperature of the pool was too high for it to be safe for me while pregnant.

i was doing aqua aerobics up until about 16 - 17weeks. stopped only due to being busy as at home, and have never gone back. Even thou it wasnt a speciallised antenateal one, i found it still to be quite good. I just told my instructer that i was preg, and worked more to my own pace, and didnt do anything that i felt required to much use of my tummy muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by missbelinda77 View Post
    Hi HotMumma,

I'd suggest contacting the place where you want to do the aquaerobics and see what their policy is on it.

I know where I go that my instructor ran our classes up until she was 37wks, and she would get in the pool with us for most things. She'd always ask at the beginning if there were any pregnant women, and that they would only do what she did and could stop anytime they wanted to.
    Hi Belinda,

I think I might just do that, as the place I want to do it is close by.

I am sure it would be ok as the other ladies that work there teaching kids to swim would get pregnant and still work.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Hi HotMumma

Aquaerobics are fine. They are probably one of the best forms of exercise during pregnancy. You do not need to go to a pregnancy specific class you can go to any, just make sure that they know you are pregnant. Your level of exercise would depend on your pre-pregnancy exercise and fitness. You can exercise to the same level as you did prior to becoming pregnant. If your pre-pregnancy exercise level was low or non-existent then start of with something light (eg just walking in the water) and slowly build up.
    Thanks Alan,

I want to do aqua as I have been reading it is the best forms of excercise while being pregnant. I will have to start with something light as my main form of excercise has been nothing other than walking the shops as it has been so hot.

Quote Originally Posted by mum2bee View Post
    i was doing aqua aerobics up until about 16 - 17weeks. stopped only due to being busy as at home, and have never gone back. Even thou it wasnt a speciallised antenateal one, i found it still to be quite good. I just told my instructer that i was preg, and worked more to my own pace, and didnt do anything that i felt required to much use of my tummy muscles.
    Hi mum2bee,

Do you think you will go back to aqua? That is good hearing all these good things about aqua I cant wait to do it.

Thanks

i went for a while there to a class specific for pregnant women only. It was great but unfortunately I cannot afford to go anymore.

My best advice is to take it easy the first few weeks to avoid unneccessary aches and pains afterwards.

Also, my OB and the pool will not let you go until you are past 12 weeks. HTH

Thanks for the info Danni about the 12 weeks thing. I think I will hold off until then, as I have no idea how far along I am, but I am sure it is less than 12 weeks.

I went and told the instructor I was pregnant. She said just to do it to the level I felt comfortable with and if I was feeling hot at any stage to sit on the side of the pool and lift my tummy out of the water. It was great. I've been meaning to go back but for one reason or the other haven't gotten there yet... but I will!

my friend in victoria is doing 'pregorobics' and loves it. it's run by a midwife and is only for pregnant ladies... she looooves it after a hideous day at work.