Thread: ARGHHH Help my son has chicken pox need advice

Default ARGHHH Help my son has chicken pox need advice

Hi there,
    I just discovered my wson has chicken pox and I am 8 weeks pg and am living with Naomi54 who is 14 weeks pg and am worried any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

I am pretty sure that chicken pox in the early stages of pregnancy isn't a great thing to be around. Have you or Naomi had chicken pox before ?? If so you should already have an immunity to the virus. But, to be on the safe side I would go and see your GP just to make sure.

Thanks Trish for the super quick reply, yeah we have both had them during childhood so hopefully that means we are covered just a little nervous as being my little boy I have no way of not being around him at this time and it would be to late now anyhow seem though you contract it before it becomes a rash, will deffinately be going to visit my GP about this to be safe and so will Naomi.
    Thanks again

If you've both had it before theres a very high chance you will be fine, as you will carry antibodies against it, which pass through the placenta to your baby as well.
    You can request a bloodtest from your GP which will show your immunity level to the chickenpox as well.

I hope your son is feeling better soon...

Thankyou Ambah, I think I will ask for the BT just to be safe, and thankyou for the well wishes I hope he feels better soon too as he is really down in the dumps as he was really looking forward to his last day of school tomorrow but I cant possibly send him now so I am really feeling for the poor boy atm.

Oh Amy - I hope he feels better soon. I'll echo the others that everything should be ok if you both had it when you were younger and agree a trip to the doc is a good idea. Is there anyone that can look after your son until he is no longer contagious? It will be hard to be seperated but it might be an option. If I were in SA I'd offer to look after him as I know my immunity is good (had to be tested for Uni). Hang in there and try not to worry too much. If DH is about get him to have the majority of the contact and keep some distance until you get that clarification.

All the best.

MG

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Amy...

Chances are you and Naomi will be fine, but it can be pretty scary. I remember when I was pregnant with DS there was a bit of a scare at my work that someone had the chicken pox, my GP said that there was nothing to worry about as my immunity or something had been checked with my blood work when I was 12 weeks.

For anyone who reads this thread and didn't know, chicken pox is now listed on the immunisation register and children can get shots for it for free ( I think at 12 months or 18 months, can't remember). Well in SA anyway, but I assume it is the same Australia wide.

Oh Amy sweetie. My DH had shingles (same virus) when I was 6 weeks. I had a blood test to check my immunity and all was fine, but the wait was horrible. It takes a couple of days. Hope you're able to get it done today.
    Good luck and I hope your little bloke's ok.

hey there deff go to ur gp coz working in childcare one of the parents is pregnant and her kids caught chicken pox when it was going round the centre... she wasn't worried coz shed had it before but she did end up catching it and ended up in hospital... she was i think only just 3 months preg so earlier then ypu guys.... all looks ok so far for her but there is a chance that the baby could be born with deformities due to being exposed so directly to chicken pox... take care hope thos helps

Thankyou everyone for your very helpfull advice, I spoke to my OB and he said that if I am sure I have had it before I will be fine and the same goes for Naomi, he also said that once you pass the 14 week mark the chances of getting it are even smaller so there should be nothing to worry about, he said to make hand washing a very regular thing and make sure Peiter does not cough on us or on anything really that he must always cover his mouth and wash his hands very regularly too so that is what I have done and all seems well atm but I guess the crappy thing with this is that only time will tell so no one will know if they have it until at least late next week.

LOL Fletch hahahaha

Just a quick side note Fletch to let you know that you can be immune to slapped cheek (also called "fifth disease" and "human parvo virus". I know this because I was exposed and my obs did a blood test that showed that I had slapped cheek earlier in my life (I think I was about 8 or 9) and that I was still immune!!

Just letting you know

We recently had a scare when my daughter contracted roseola & they did tests for rubella just in case as I was preggas, that was just b4 xmas, now my daughter has a couple of spots & I'm not sure if they're chicken pox or not, will wait & see. Although I had a small dose when I was 5yo, which wasn't enough to give immunity so then got it again worse at 19-20yo, so should well & truly be immune.