Thread: Best pregnancy books??

Sammi Jane Guest

Default Best pregnancy books??

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good book about pregnancy. I bought the 'What to expect when you're expecting' but I'm not sure it's the best one I could have bought... I was wondering if there's an Australian book about pregnancy??

Thanks.

i have "up the duff" It has been really good for me and DH. I dont read it that often now, mainly cause i know it pretty much word for word, i read it that oftern during my TTC and the first few months of pregnancy. It was helpful, as it explained most things in an easy to read, and light hearted way. DH reads it every week to see what Pebbles is doing. Was helpful for him as well in the first 5 or so months, to read what was going on inside me, and someone elses opinions in regards to emotions etc, so he sorta knew that i wasnt making things up.
    I also have What to Expect when your Expecting. It is abit American, but, the information is all the same. I read it more now, but, i tend not to read it word for word, cause it does touch on a lot of worst case scenarios. KWIM? My sister gave me the book, and she tend to self diaganois her self, and would be convinced that things where wrong with baby, or herself, as she 'thought' she had similar pain as they had discussed. So, its good, but, remember that everyone is different, and every pregnancy is different, and if in doubt, check your obs/midwife.

I found the 'what to expect 'series of books really helpful. There are alot on the market, I wouldn't know where to start. I would definately recommend checking out your local library. And if you borrow one you really love, you can always buy your own copy to keep.

All the best with your pregnancy.

definitely reccomend 'up the duff'. it is very lighthearted, but imformative approach. i read it so much through my first pregnancy, that i now know it word for word (yet i still have been rereading it for this pregnancy). also at the end of each week (or chapter), there is a list of other relevant reading material that you may check out.

I have what to expect and agree with you, it sometimes scares me but is good for info.
    I also have up the duff, whcih is lighthearted and we read it week by week..
    and I also have the pregnancy encyclopaedia (or is it bible) whchis australian and excellent... i forget who it is by but can havea look for you if you want.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

For educational/informational purposes: BellyBelly Recommended Reading List

Up the Duff & What to Expect isn't on there :P
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I have Up the Duff and Baby Love (both given to me by friends). Up the Duff is comical, whilst Baby Love is very informative and sort of serious, but still a good read.
    DH is reading 'So you're going to be a Dad' - he loves it

I found the best book was Conception, Pregnancy and Birth by Miriam Stoppard.

Then Up the duff, then What to expect......

I loved Up the Duff and so did DH, we had a great time reading it with #2 and to a lesser extent #3.

My favourite book is Conception, Pregnancy and Birth by Miriam Stoppard aswell. It was like my bible for my first pregnancy, then I gave it to my sister who couldn't put it down aswell lol It's all tattered and the covers have fallen off but I highly recommend it

Have to agree - Up the Duff is great, What to expect very informative, and Baby love is great for now and Ive been told invaluable for the first 12 months.
    Im also reading Labour of Love - all about active/natural birth!Good luck!

I have "Up the Duff" and "Birth" (purple cover, Australian book published by a midwife and doula). I have found these two to be fantastic - I particularly love "Birth"'s relaxed approach, its encouragement, its enlightening descriptions and techniques for labour and its setting out of the pros and cons of interventions versus natural birth. Well, it'll be interesting to see how much use it has been in 7 months time!!

I had a good healthy look at "What To Expect" and found it to be very American even though it had an Australian revision: I found I just couldn't relate to it. And the "revised, softened" diet just looked terifying - and I am a healthy eater normally!

Sammi Jane Guest

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's great to know what people recommend.

I think my DH will freak if I buy too many books so I may be able to buy only one more... I'm not sure which to choose? Up the Duff sounds like a good one to compliment What to Expect... I've been told by a friend that Baby Love is really good for when the baby is here, so I can put that off and buy it in 8 months.

Thanks again.

Hi Sammie,

Up the duff is the best book as its man friendly as it has humour. DH liked to read that over my miriam stoppard book, although this also is a great book which includes lots of advice for the first few weeks after birth too.

I have read all those mainstream pop books like what to expect, up the duff, and baby love. I did enjoy reading them to a certain extent but i also found a lot of the information on what you should/shouldn't do a bit daunting... especially the parts about labour. Much better options IMO...

Gentle birth, gentle mothering by Sarah J Buckley (Aussie)

Our babies, ourselves, by Meredith Small (USA)

Parenting for a Peaceful World, by Robin Grille (Aussie)

and just about any book you can buy from mothersdirect.com - they have a pregnancy and labour section.

ETA: what i liked about these kind of books is that they are backed up by research and they are written a bit more 'intelligently' than some of the others!