Thread: breastfeeding and pregnant making me feel worse??

Default breastfeeding and pregnant making me feel worse??

I know, no two pregnancies, or in my case 3 pregnancies are the same. But with my first two i seriously never gagged or vomited - once. Sure i felt tired and stuff, but not like i am with this pregnancy. I gag/vomit every morning, and feel soooooo tired ALL the time. Im still breastfeeding Sophie 2 times a day (am and pm). Are my hormones even more out of wack coz im still b/f? Does b/f contribute to m/s? Im not going to stop b/f, im 10 weeks and figure im over the worst....( ), just thought this morning is it contributing to this sickly feeling?

MBear, have you thought that maybe bub is a boy & that's why you're getting different symptoms to your other pregnancies Other than that I have no idea!

I just received my booklet from the ABA about breastfeeding in pregnancy 2 days ago! I will type out the paragraph that answers your question

Will breastfeeding affect morning sickness?
    Recent studies have shown that this may be a result of gastric hormones, which are released during breastfeeding. This is part of a protective effect to ensure an adequate energy supply for milk production, by assisting digestion of the mother's food. Hunger may be a contributor to the nausea, while other factors include excessive or not enough fluid intake, low blood pressure, low blood sugar levels or tiredness. If you find that one of these could be a factor, having a high carbohydrate snack before breastfeeding can help, and for some mothers, using wrist bands which are used to alleviate motion sickness have helped with the nausea.
    Hope that helps? And I hope you feel better soon.

Congrats on the pregnancy tho!

Hi Mbear. I was b/f Ella twice a day when i was preg too. I ended up dropping down to just one feed at around 10-12 weeks cause i was just too sick, tired and dehydrated. Then at 19 weeks stopped altogether. Ella didn't mind cause she was getting frustrated at the lack of milk i was supplying anyway. I don't think b/f added to my m/s cause i was actually a lot worse when preg with Ella (i just am one of those unlucky ones that vomits all day for months and months ). But it did make me feel drained. I stopped when Ella was 16months so i felt that was a great effort and we had a wonderful b/feeding experience together

Hope you feel better soon!

I am still b/f and I am feeling a lot more tired this time around. I didn't put it down to the b/f but maybe that has something to do it. I can't eat as much because of the nausea and so probably don't have enough energy to produce the milk. I don't think that Charlotte drinks a lot but it has to be there for her. I am going to see how it goes, if I don't feel better in a few weeks I may drop a feed.

Thanks ladies - liz your research was interesting.
    I personally do think it has some effect on the way im feeling....but....11 weeks now and not feeling so BLAH as i did at say 8 weeks......so heres hoping...

Glad you're feeling better. I thought it was interesting too about the gastric hormones. That's probably what contributes to the weightloss with breastfeeding.