Thread: broccoli

Default broccoli

Last night a friend told me that i shouldn't be eating broccoli as it is full of toxins, we eat a lot of broccoli so I wanted to find out if you guys can confirm or deny this???? 8-[

I can't say I have heard that one widdly... I was always under the impression that broccoli was one of the 'better' vegies to eat as it is full of nutrients & vitamins, etc...

I have never heard this - in fact I believe broccoli is usually a recommended food as it's got heaps of really good stuff in it! Maybe ask your doctor if you are worried about it; I'm sure they will be able to help

Thankyou so much for your responses i agre with you that broccoli is one of the better veges cause it has so much folate and good stuff in it, I will definately keep eating it. Its amazing some of the things women believe :-s

Widdly I have been reseaching this over the internet just now, and from everything I have found there has not been one suggestion that it contains any adverse toxins. In fact it is recommended as a vegetable that helps our bodies to get rid of toxins easily.

However, as with any reaseach you do online, it has to be taken with a grain of salt, but so far I certainly havent found anything bad.

Melinda Guest

I've certain never heard that either, Widdly. I eat a lot of broccoli too, and did so whilst PG. It's high in folate which a great thing for PG!

Definitely a load of rubbish Widdly. Green vegies are great during pregnancy.

Love

Custardtart Guest

Ditto to the above, broccoli is one of the best vegetables you can be eating as it has a huge range of essential vitamins and minerals. There's also some degree of proof that it has anti-carcinogenic properties, which is irrelevant here, but it is definitely a beneficial vegetable. I'd say your friend misread her information!

Kerrie

widdly, this wouldnt be the same friend who was scaring you about hospital dummy protocol would it? :-s i think your friend may be pretty off the mark with their info if it is. broccoli is so good for you - eat up!!!

Linda

AFAIK all the green leafy veges are full of folate so they're very good for your baby when you're pregnant.

My G/f ate heaps of brocolli when pregnant... untill one day she just couldnt LOL... baby must have decided he didnt like it anymore...

Never heard this myself. Couldn't imagine vegetables being bad for you unless they were pumped full of chemicals.

Hey Widdly,
    Brocoli is considered the 'worst' vegetable from an allergic point of view. It actually contains msg as well as solicolates (sp) and ayamines (sp). But it obviously contains a lot of good things too. Everything in moderation.

ms_fluffy Guest

Gosh, there are lots of froot loops out there. If you listened to them all, we wouldn't eat anything but cardboard. If you're really worried, try organic brocolli, or alternatively wash it really well.

I agree, I think the toxins may be in the form of pesticides so wash it really well or buy organic. I wouldn't worry too much about it though...the air inside your car would be more "toxic" and the stress from worrying about such low percentage 'threats' would be worst of all! :-s

Gosh, if its true, I'm in trouble....the first few weeks of this pregnancy i was craving RAW broccoli.

LOL - wow - raw broccoli!!! that sounds like the healthiest craving in the world!!!

Linda