Thread: Burning after urination, anyone else suffer this?

Default Burning after urination, anyone else suffer this?

Have noticed over the last 2 weeks that there are moments throughout the day especially when I have had to hold on, that after I urinate I have a terrible burning sensation that lasts for about 15-30 minutes. I decided to go see Dr and gave him a urine sample and he said it looked clear but he would send it to Pathology just in case. He gave me a script for a cream called Hydrozole which I am meant to put on the area 3 times a day. I have not suffered with Thrush many times in my life maybe 3 times at the most. But I have no itching and I have the usual discharge you get when your pregnant so I didn't think it would be that. Has anyone else had this and do you know why it is happening? Is it because I pee so much or perhaps a possible bladder infection? Just a bit worried...

it could be a UTI (urinary tract infection). but that said the pathology ppl will let u know and if it is an infection, its treated with antibiotics that are safe in pregnancy. I know its worrying, i was worried when it happened to me too..
    Also i was told to be extreamly careful in treating thrush if ur under 12 weeks.. just a little info. (ps u will find it says that on the box tho.. eg, canesten)
    HTH

sounds like a UTI to me too. that is quite common in oregnancy.. did you get your results back yet? i have never heard of applying hydrozole to that area before.

I will have to call my GP on Sunday for the results. Can a UTI hurt the baby at all or cause any problems to the pregnancy? I hope it clears by itself before 2 July when I have my first scan, cause its not real nice having a full bladder!

It kind of sounds like a UTI but in my experience the stinging usually only lasts for a few seconds after urinating. I'd be waiting to see what the pathology results are before proceding with anything else.

Can a UTI hurt your baby or have an effect on the pregnancy? I thought it could be a slight case of thrush. But like you said I will call the DR and see what the Pathology results are on Sunday and see what to do next. I hope it goes away by itself cause antibiotics never really sit well with me, they usually make me sick and so I usually do everything to avoid them.
    Thanks

Hi Puppies, sounds to me like a mild case of thrush, I had those symptoms too at 10wks and I used collloidal silver both externally and internally as well as taking probiotics and it went within 2 days. As a nutritionist I would advise avoiding all medication while pregnant, in fact I advise avoiding most medications if possible even when not pregnant! Obviously there are times they are necessary but its always best to try the natural route first and only use medication as a last resort. Some meds are considered 'safe' for use during pregnancy but they still affect you at a cellular level and deplete you of nutrients such as essential fatty acids. If you do end up having to go on antibiotics it is important to also take probiotics and fish oil capsules.

If its not a UTI, it could be high acidity (sp?) in your urine. I have had this a few times before & during my PG. You can use something like Urals or Citravescent (tastes better than Urals) & that is an akaliser (sp?) So its supposed to sop the burning/stinging sensation

Is it safe to take Urals while pregnant? I would like to try that first and I would much rather try a natural alternative first than take anitbiotics. Should I just ask my chemist or health food store? I thought I may have just aggrivated the area because I have to pee so much...
    Thanks for the advice and helping to put my mind at ease. Its funny my protective instinct has already kicked in and I just dont want to do anything or take anything in case it hurts my little one and I still haven't even seen her/him in a scan yet. Got 2 more weeks to go.

My OB told me I could take both. He also suggested to take them during labour so it doesnt sting when you got to the toilet after the birth

ETA- You can get both from the chemist, they also have a book where they can look up the ingredients if you are unsure of any medication to tell you if it is safe or not

thanks might get them from chemist tonight. You guys are the best thank you to all your responses. I am so glad I found BB. Its great to have so many great people to talk to and ask advice.

a UTI is only dangerous if left untreated. I have thrush atm from the damn antibiotics from the infection!! keeps going on and on lol. Im using canesten cream for the thrush and have been for about 4 days and seems to be getting better

What about good old cranberry juice? Can't remember if it's more for a UTI or thrush (I think UTI) but I believe it alkalizes your wee, and wouldn't do any harm at any rate. I've also heard you can apply natural yoghurt to the area if it's thrush.

BTW - these days they prefer your bladder to be as empty as possible before the scan so you don't need to worry about that!

[QUOTE=Curly;1300656]What about good old cranberry juice? Can't remember if it's more for a UTI or thrush (I think UTI) but I believe it alkalizes your wee, and wouldn't do any harm at any rate. I've also heard you can apply natural yoghurt to the area if it's thrush. [QUOTE]

yep its for UTI's and yep yoghurt is good for thrush

It definitely sounds like a UTI to me.
    Left untreated further along in the pregnancy, it can cause pre-mature labour. The only risk to the baby at your stage of pregnancy, that I have heard is that there can be a risk of low birth weight if left untreated.
    I had this with my first baby (14+yrs ago) but I was 32 weeks pregnant at the time.
    It was treated with urals and anti-biotics.
    Please don't treat yourself. Find out first exactly what it is and then follow the recommended treatment.
    I hope you're feeling better soon

Sounds like a UTI - I agree with the others, cranberry juice is a winner - or if you don't like cranberry juice, you can purchase cranberry tablets.
    Better to get it fixed ASAP though because it's a bugger if you leave it too long, because it can get to your kidneys..