Thread: Can I Eat?

Default Can I Eat?

Hi There,

I am 10 and a bit weeks pregnant and am a bit confused with a couple of foods, can I eat Cream Cheese and Sour Cream?

Some say yes others say no......but I thought I would get your opinions!

Thanks

Jess

I eat sour cream but not cream cheese.....lol

i say yes. I ate them. The deal is products made with unpasturised dairy products "soft cheeses', eg - brie, camberbet, and according to some people - Feta. Excuse my spelling. If you check the ingredients, i noticed on some brands, it will say if it is made from unpasturised dairy.
    Well, actually, i didnt eat cream cheese, only because i normally dont, but, i dont think it would be a drama. I think peoples get mixed up with the term "soft cheeses" My mum told me i couldnt eat sliced processed cheese, cause that was soft -

I still eat some 'norty' foods (ie Feta) - so long as it fresh then Im not too fussed personally. I think cream cheese is perfectly ok as is sour cream.

I ate both during both my pregnancies with no dramas.

Ellie

I don't see why you can't eat them if you really want to. Moderation is the key and make sure it is fresh.

I think both are OK, as they are pasteurised. I am confused re ricotta, i SO want to eat it but i just cant find out one way or the other.

I ate both during my last pregnancy but this time my ob (went public last time) has said no cream cheese. Sour cream is fine.

i have eaten Feta a few times. In one preg book i have, it lists it as a food you can eat. I am just abit fussy on the places i get it from.

I was told by my GP that I could still eat cream cheese and sour cream. He basiclally said that they have to be fresh. Everything in moderation is the key, I guess.

~Belinda~ Guest

Yes I'm not quite sure but I wouldn't personally eat them. Then again, I'm being extremely careful with everything ATM, after all, I'm carrying a little bubba who relies on my healthy body for everything so it's only natural for me to be cautious about everything. I am just eating cheddar and shredded low fat mozerella. I think if it's fresh and pastuerised, it would be fine

paradise lost Guest

You're not supposed to eat it because of the listeria risk. Listeria is a very rare infection which MIGHT be in some unpasteurised dairy products and things that aren't properly refrigerated (like mr whippy ice-cream from a machine, where, apparently bacteria can hang around the nozzle). I ate anything i wanted during pregnancy with no ill-effects whatsoever.

It's worth noting that in France, where soft cheese is eaten daily by most people, Ob's do not recommend they stop. And in Japan sushi is very much encouraged. Depends on where you are i reckon.

I LOVE sushi - i though Esme would come out sushi because i ate so much of it when i was PG....

Mmmmmmmm

I guess with every food, there's a risk since we can't see what microbes are lying there. I do know that some people say that kimchi is harmful, but don't think that korean pregnant women stopped eating them since this is their main dish! So, I guess it depends what your body is adapted to. Meanwhile, just make sure what you eat is clean & fresh!

Mezzz Guest

I saw my Ob last night and spoke to her about what to eat, listeria etc and she said that its all gone a bit overboard and women are pannicking far to much about what they eat and thus alot of women are not eating enough! She said I could basically eat anything I wanted as long as it was fresh cooked well and I bought it from somewhere reputable that I trusted. She said camembert etc is fine if its stored correctly (from a gourmet cheese shop etc) or even the pre-packaged sealed stuff from the supermarket she said she would prob avoid it from a supermarket deli where they cut it themselves as you dont know how long its been out. She said you should enjoy your pregnancy and not be stressed the whole time about what to eat and how to act. It made me feel alot better as I have been a bit of a stress head!

I certainly hope eating cream cheese is OK as I've been doing it everyday for the past 4 weeks. I'm sure it isnt classed as a soft cheese.

mrsaym Guest

HI Jess32....I have been told you can eat cream cheese and sour cream. Just make sure you read the use by on the cream cheese jar, it says to use within a certain time from opening and make sure that you dont keep the sour cream for too long....I was told only a couple days then throw it out....dont leave it out of the fridge - use it and put it back.....if you are not sure - dont use it.....

~Belinda~ Guest

I'm pretty sure cream cheese is ok!

On another subject, I ate a cheeseburger today from Maccas and some hot chips (not Maccas ones).

How naughty is that? Advice...anyone?