Thread: Can my lack of sleep harm baby?

Default Can my lack of sleep harm baby?

Hello all

I am nearly 11 weeks pregnant and have a 7 month old who is sleeping terribly at the moment. I feel like i have a newborn again as he is waking many many times a night. I am worried my lack of sleep might be affecting my pregnancy, not that I have had any symptoms to indicate this may be the case, but it cant be good for the developing baby can it? I am probably averaging 4 - 5 hours of broken sleep per night and when possible I try and have a nap during the day but this isnt always possible. Unfortunately my DH is away for work an awful lot so he isnt around to share the load. Do people think this could be affecting my pregnancy? I am stressing that it may.

Thanks
    Jem.

Thanks Kate, it makes me feel much better to hear that. Lack of sleep just does terrible things to the mind and body and I know with me turns me into a worry wart! Glad to hear DD started sleeping the night through when DD#2 came along. Makes me feel hopeful, although hopefully we have some success before then!!

I will drop you an email. I am about to go away for a few days - need to get some TLC at my parents place so I will email you when I get back. In short, I am petrified at the moment at the prospect of havng three so close together, but there will be many many positives. Again it is the lack of sleep that is wreaking havoc with my thoughts!!! LOL!!

Hi Jem

Your baby sleeps when he/she needs to no matter what you are doing. Your lack of sleep will not have any effect on your baby. Just make sure that you are having a good well balance diet and plenty of fluids.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Jem - as you know I am hearing your fear! I feel exactly the same way!

My DS 2 is 9 months old and both he and DS 1 have been sleeping horrifically and I average about 4 to 5 hours of broken sleep as well!

Just think when we have the babies, we will not be sleep deprived from the babies! LOL