Thread: Can u get the Flu Injection when u are pregnant??????

Default Can u get the Flu Injection when u are pregnant??????

I've been googleing this and can't find the answer anywhere.

Flu shot not something I have ever had, not really my thing however I have heard it is fine and sometimes recommended after 12 wks. Your GP should be able to tell you.

I have read that you can.

well what i read implied you can... it said the vax is recommended for certain groups of people, and one of those listed was pregnant people.

I personally havent had it

i wish i had had a flu shot! i am sitting here at home with m/s and the flu and all i can take is a couple of panadol. it is deffinitely worth finding out about. maybe ring the doctors surgery and ask - it may depend how far along you are.

Yes you can have a flu shot
    It is category B2

Alan can you pls explain category B2 (sorry don't have eMims here at home) LOL!

My work offers free flu shots at this time every year and we have always been instructed that if we are prg, we cannot have the shot.

YES you absolutely can have the flu shot while pregnant. Infact my Dr highly recommended it and it was the best thing I could've done as Tilly had flu 3 times while I was pregnant. I now get the flu shot every year. xo

I think the answer is pretty clear but I thought Id add that I had mine yesterday and I am 11 weeks pregnant. I asked my Ob about it and he said it was fine, even at 11 weeks if i had had it in the past with no adverse reactions. His collegue had also previously asked the Womens & Childrens Hospital who also advised it is safe.

I got mine through work and you did have to state on a consent form if you were pregnant but they dont refuse you.

I get it every year anyway even though I have never (*touch-wood*) had the flu. I figure I am going to be heavily pregnant around winter and dont want the flu as well!

Hi Jodie
    I asked my dr about the flu needle when I had my pregnancy comfirmed and he looked it up in the medical book and that said it is highly recommended for pregnant women especially if they will be in either 2nd or 3rd trimester during the flu season. I'm having mine on Monday.

I wish I had had one this cough is killin me! Dr said to me they are usually weary of giving it to you while preg if you HAVENT had it before incase you have a bad reaction, so I think I'll have to snuffle my way through this lol

My work are offering it also but as I haven't had it ever before I am a little wary as I might get a reaction. It is a hard decision to make because work doesn't know I'm UTD and are strongly recommending everyone get it, yet I am ultra paranoid that I would have weird reaction.

Fingers crossed that I don't get the darn flu.

OK, that's so weird, I wonder why work won't do it for prg girls then?

Might ask my GP about it out of curiosity...

Williow: I think my work will do it but they want you to fill out a consent form first and it asks if you are pregnant and I just don't want them to know yet. Oh and when I said I was worried about getting a weird reaction, I meant a weird medical reaction. Sorry, confusing the issue arn't I.

I guess the GP/OB would be the best person to ask because they know your medical history.

Category B2

Drugs which have been taken by by only a limited number of pregnant women and women of childbearing age without an increase in the frequency of malformation or other direct or indirect harmful effects on the foetus having being observed. Studies in animals are inadequate or lacking but available data shows no evidence of any increased occurrence of foetal damage.

Thanks Alan!

Maybe your work doesnt have the insurance to cover if something went wrong or just doesn't want the liability full stop? I'd definately talk to your gp and perhaps even your boss to ask why they aren't willing to give it to preg woman when they can have it?