Thread: Chickens and pregnancy

Default Chickens and pregnancy

Can anyone tell about any dangers/risks in handling chickens while pregnant?
    Or direct me to a website which could tell me about the same??
    I have a number of chickens and just thought there could be risks involved apart from the obvious in handling chemicals, inhaling medicated feed dust when making up feeds... etc which I have stopped doing.

Thanks,

Joy.

Melinda Guest

Actually I don't think toxoplasmosis is routinely tested for during PG. I know that I wasn't tested for it (to my knowledge). However, since I had 2 m/c, and had numerous tests conducted as a result, I was screened for it during those tests to rule it out as a possibility.

I think it always pays to be on the safe side, so wearing gloves is the best bet!

Thanks guys,

Guess the gloves are on from now on. I'll double check with my doc next week when I see him.

thanks heaps,

Joy.

My dr did test routinely at the beg of every pg and 4 pg over 10 yrs I had no immunity which was strange considering most people do. Just shows i must have managed to avoid litter cleaning or be very pedantic about not touching Poo! I gave a kitten away in 1st tri when pg with no.2 cos of toxo, didn't want to risk it.

Hope everything turns out ok but wearing gloves and ensuring you wash your hands in hot soapy water should do the trick.