Thread: Choosing a hospital...

Default Choosing a hospital...

Hi all,

I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on where to have your baby. I've lived all my life in Brisbane, then moved to regional Queensland a little over a year ago. I'm only 2 1/5 hours drive from Brissie (where my family and friends are), and I'm kinda nervous about the standard of care in the small rural hospital here. I've heard really good things about it, but I've also heard that if there are complications they fly the mother to Brisbane anyhow. I'd really prefer not to go through that!!! If there are no complications, I'm sure I'd be fine here...but this being my first, I don't know what to expect and I'd feel more confident with all the latest equipment on hand. We don't even have an Obstetrician here in town!! The other option is to stay in Bris during the week or so before EDD and book into a Bris hospital. That could get expensive though because I'm NOT staying with my parents in my last week pg! That would drive me insane!

Has anyone had any experience in regional hospitals (particularly in Qld.)?

I don't know whether to worry or just 'go with the flow' and hope I have an uncomplicated labour...

rails Guest

Hi Juliette,

I am kinda in the same boat exept my hospital are in Melbourne. I live in an outer metro town & the closest hospital is 20mins away. The city hosp it over an hour away. One of my sisters had her baby last year at the country hosp near home & my other sister had hers in the city.
    The country hosp was great - no obstetriction either, three doctors which rotated shifts, also nurses were excellent also. My sis was told the same thing about the complication, that they would transfer her to the city hosp if there were problems. She ended up having a schedualled C-S.
    My other sis had her baby in the city hosp. The problem was, everytime she had an appointment she had to drive into the city. As well as doing the drive for any scares she had in the last few weeks, which were many being her first pg & her not being sure what the pains were caused from.
    So, after seeing them both go through different hospitals, I have decided to go to the country hosp which is closer to home & took excellent care of my sister. If I have a complication later on then I will deal with it then, but really do not want to have to trek back & forth from the city hosp if I don't have to.
    I know I don't live in Qld, but I hope this helps you a little with the decision.