Thread: Coldsores

Default Coldsores

You can't use Zovirax when pregnant can you? So is there any other alternative i can use to get rid of coldsores?

Yeah you can use the cream, but not the famvir tablets, it's not recommended to use the cream when breast feeding, this is what I was told, but if you're wanting a 2nd opinion, then ring your chemist or OB.

Melinda Guest

I started to get a coldsore when I was heavily PG with Jacob and my OB told me to use Zovirax. I only had to use it for a few days and thankfully I didn't end up with a full-blown coldsore!

Always ask your OB or chemist to be on the safe side.

My OB said Zovirax was fine to use. I got one last week and only needed the cream for a couple of days.

My question regarding coldsores though, becuase its in infection as such, can it be passed onto the baby?

Firstly Tegan, CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy. I must of missed the announcement ](*,)

I was told by my doctor NOT to use cold sore cream, because the main ingredient is Aciclovir, which is not meant to be taken whilst pregnant.

I have a "complete guide to medication" book at home and it says that Aciclovir has a B3 grading and should only be used if medically essential.

So I would just put up with it and not use the cream. I get them pretty bad and luckily have only had one during the pregnancy so far, but I just let it clear on it's own.

Trish actually said that tea tree oil works well. I will definately try that if another one arises.

I was told Vaseline only and that at least kept the pain under control.

jaggard Guest

They say not to use it whilst pg or b/f. I just put up with mine. Maybe ring the Mothersafe Drug Hotline (0293826539), they'll tell you. I had to use them quite a bit as I was on medication most of my pregnancy with DS, they are a great when you need advice on medications.

My DD got the virus (thanks to DH) when she was about 10 months old. Gee it knocked her about. You have to be really careful with babies and the virus as it can make them very sick.

I had cold sores early on, swear I still have one hovering waiting to 'explode' so I use Blistex, it is safe and provides heaps of pain relief and helps to heal the sore quickly.

Pharmacist should be able to tell you this, mine did, but don't use Zovirax if you can help it for all the reasons posted above!

cheers,