thread: Coldsores

Oct 2006

Coldsores

Hi,
    I'm currently 11weeks and 5 days pregnant and have got a huge coldsore on my face ( have had them before) I have been using zovirax cream on it for the last few days but have just done some reading that you shouldnt use zovirax in pregnancy. Has anyone else heard this or has used it in pregnancy, stressing out that I may have caused birth defects!.

Cheers Jules

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

May 2007
    Brisbane

I don't think there is any risk with using the cream on your lip as the amount that enters the blood stream and through the placenta would be trace, if any. If you are really worried I would mention it to your GP or care provider and they'll be able to let you know.

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

Hi there
    I just had exactly this conversation with my ob. I have had cold sores in the past, and was concerned about how to manage one if one decided to rear its ugly head during preg!
    He said exactly what Leasha said - as long as you use it sparingly and topically only then the risk is practically nothing. It would be such a trace amount that it would do no harm.
    I worked myself up a bit reading all sorts of nasty things on the internet saying not to use it, but I decided to trust my dr. I have tried other more 'natural' remedies and they have never helped to relieve them. Although, a daily dosage of L-Lysine has kept them at bay in the past. I have read that it is safe to take during preg, but again, I'd check with your trusted dr.
    Hope that helps.

Feb 2007
    ACT

Just thought i would say I have used it in my last two preg after consulting my dr and both kids are fine.....however i would use it sparinly that is what i did to try and limit exposure.

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

May 2007
    Brisbane

Something I find really effective with cold sores is bepanthen, pop it on as soon as you get that tingle. Or eucalyptus oil. Both really help me, not exactly sure why but I haven't had a full cold sore in ages, just a tingle, and maybe a bump if I don't get to it really quickly but barely noticable.

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

I was told to take l-lyseine while pregnant and this worked for me. The BEST remedy though I found was to dab vodka that had been in the freezer onto the coldsore using a cotton ball. I had 6 coldsores between my nose and lip and they dried up in less than a week with the vodka - hey it's not like I could drink it

Oct 2006

Hi Ladies,
    Thanks so much for your replies, its a relief too hear its not that bad to use zovirax, yes reading on the internet sometimes isnt good. Only used it for 2 days so have stopped using it now and will try some of the remedies that you suggested.

thanks again Jules

Add Rach75 on Facebook

Oct 2005
    Moura, QLD, Australia

tea tree oil helps stings a little or metho

I was told not to use over the counter cold sore medication

Aug 2004
    Melbourne

I have had cold sores all my life and I get them severely, but for some strange reason they dissapeared when I had bubby #1. Now they only come back when I am pregnant. I was told by my chemist not to use zovitax whilst pregnant, the chemist's own brand of zovirax is safter to use becuase it doesn't have the key ingredient in it that they say can be harmful (I can't remember what it is called).

The L-Lysine tablets are great for prevention, and also help the coldsores heal quicker if you do have an outbreak. I am 6 weeks today and have woken up with my 1st one!!

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

min, crack open the vodka and give it a go - it does work (but don't drink it!!)

Jun 2007
    Gold Coast, QLD

I suffer from cold-sores when I get run down. I find taking Lysine tablets help clear them up real quick

Aug 2004
    Melbourne

Might have to try that Nai - no probs with not drinking it, I can't stand the stuff, might just buy one of those little minibar sized bottle to keep in the freezer, although will send DH in to get it, imaging the looks a pregnant lady with two kids hanging off her, in the bottle'o buying a vodka sampler!!

Sep 2008
    South West Sydney, NSW

Shoot... I noticed a slight blister on my lip last night and automatically reached for the Zovirax... I didn't put a lot on and it was just the topical application. I forgot to put anything on it this morning and it was only about 5 mins ago I thought to search BB for info on coldsores... there are a few threads on it but all seem to differ and then have some parts in common.

Will try again to get in contact with my Obs office... silly coldsores!

Feb 2009

TK, I love my Lysine. I started using it over a year ago when I had a horrible outbreak that had me really depressed. DH went to the chemist and spoke to them at length to try and find something to help me. He came home with Lysine. I used them to clear it up and now only take a tablet if I get the tingle or there is trauma to my mouth (I caused that last one by hitting my lip on my laptop) - I have not had an active coldsore since. More than 12 months cold sore free when before that I had suffered numerous reccurances.

Well well worth trying.

Sep 2008
    South West Sydney, NSW

Thanks Inertia - I am letting this one run its course (it was only a very slight one anyway and is almost gone) and then will look into the tablets... the funny this is this one I didn't even get the tingle with this one - it just sort of appeared!