Thread: COLOURING HAIR

Default COLOURING HAIR

Old wives tales or truth?

Can you colour your hair during pregnancy?

Has anyone done it? if so any effects?

If not, why is it not feasible?

There is nothing wrong eith doing this. I did itand nothing happened. Though they say if you can hold off until 2nd trimester if you can to do it!

Ness - you can colour your hair. I have doen it twice, my OB said that you get more pollutants from walking down the street.

If you are worried, maybe wait until the 12 week mark, but you will be fine!

i had my hair coloured right through my pg, and it was fine. the only thing to watch is that the smell doesnt make you feel sick if you have MS. esp with your strong sense of smell!!

Ladies thanks for your replies....

Since being pg, my colour hasn't lasted anywhere near it should!! and
    I'd like to have a nice colour for the festive season.

I will take advice of waiting till after 12wks just for precaution.

Ness

The only thing I have been told about doing it is that it might not last as long.

I waited (and am waiting) until after the 1st trimester to be sure, and also because I don't think I could cope with the smell at the moment

When I asked my hairdresser friend if it was safe, she laughed and said "What, do you think all hairdresser all have to quit work as soon as they are pg?", so I guess that's a good point...

I dyed my hair through my last pregnancy beause the grey's getting bad, I wish I didn't have to though... I mean, I guess I don't HAVE to but I just don't feel well groomed with grey roots... like I don't have to shave my legs BUT... *sigh* I do feel guilty. The doctor that said you absorb more toxins on a busy street is correct... I think it just comes down to minimising the harm... the extra chemicals in hair dye would have an accumulative affect on your body and baby if used very frequently. It's like when people say this or that will cause cancer... well few things will cause it in isolation but if you are exposed to lots of things there will come a point that your system can't take it anymore. People often don't get that... they try to simplfy things and want to "blame" a single thing when really it's a whole set of things and lifestyle choices. I'm sure that if you're concerned enough about your baby's wellbeing to worry about hairdye then you're probably leading a good enough lifestyle to ensure the best conditions during pregnancy. I wouldn't worry