Thread: Combined NT & MSS report

Default Combined NT & MSS report

Hi

I am totally confused with this damn report. Why dont they ever explain things in normal words.

I had the u/s and the guy doing it said that everything looked fine, in good nick so I pretty much wasnt worried, then he said that we should go outside and wait for the results to come through for this combined test. Fine, well, after waiting for about 30 minutes, I decided to save time and book in my 18w u/s appt and the receptionist says, 'why dont we do this after you have seen him?' That rang alarm bells, and I insisted that she book me in anyway as DH needs to take time off work to attend. She wasnt too happy.

According to this report, anatomical detail seems normal. CRL is 6cm and NT is 1.8mm. I had done some reading on the NT scan previously and according to everything that I have read, anything under 2.5mm is okay.

So we eventually talk to this Dr and he tells me that my Trisomy 21 risk is 1:79 and Trisomy 18 is 1:28600. He proceeded to tell me that it means that 78 out of 79 women will have a normal baby. But that I should discuss the results with my OB, I have an appt on Monday morning.

He did mention the options of amnio or cvs, both of which have a high risk of m/c, especially with my history. I have done a heap of research and think that he would have been able to tell something with the size of arms and legs or something, so I am taking it to mean that I am okay.

I am totally confused as I am on progesterone pessaries and oestrogen patches, maybe this has affected the blood results. I just dont understand.

Hey Dinky,

I don't know anything about NT results, but I just wanted to give you some huge :hugs: . What a stressful and confusing time for you. I am thinking of you. Hopefully someone else will be able to give you some reassuring advice.

:luck:

Hey Dinks,

I don't know a heck of a lot about all the tests and all the jargon they use, but I know our OB told us whe he did our NT scan that anything under 2mm is perfectly fine. Since you measured at 1.8, I presume that includes you too.

I hope you manage to get it all explained in plain english, and that your OB can put your mind at rest when you talk to him.

I'm sure everything will be fine

Hexham Guest

hi Dinky,

did they take your blood test into consideration too? I think age is a significant factor as well. I'll be 41 when I deliver and was told that scan only results gave me a 1 in 316 risk (a decreased risk based on my age alone which was 1 in 52). Then they factored my blood test into it and my personal risk rose to 1 in 147 which really shocked me cause I wasn't expecting it. The CRL was 5.6 and the neck thickness was 1.5. He cld see the nose, which was a good sign apparently. I think I'm gong for an amnio but I'm scared and haven't a clue about finding a good doctor to do it

Hex

Colleen

Thanks for your reply.

After chatting to my OB about the results and everything we have decided to do nothing, he agrees that the risk of an amnio for me, is too high so I am just hoping that everything will be fine.

The NT measurement was only 1.8, which is okay apparently. What I didnt realise is that they take family medical history into consideration as well, and mine isnt the best, which is why the odds came back higher than expected.

I just want this baby, no matter what is wrong with it, if anything. My OB said that he has had people with 1:5 and 1:10 end up with healthy babies, so he thinks that I should be okay. I think that they can tell something at 18w anyway, so I just have to wait for that u/s.

So glad that everything worked out for you.