Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Concerned Question.....

  1. #1
    Alyson Guest

    Default Concerned Question.....

    I'm wondering if anyone can help me....Im very concerned and worried....



    I went to my doctor today and was told that a certain blood test that I was suppose to take at 16 weeks and forgot ( I was moving and lost the form for the blood work) ....it has something to do with testing that baby for Down Syndrome....anyways...my doctor told me today that i am at high risk and that i am at 1/140....Im not sure exactly how high that is...or how worried i should be....I was offered to do an Amnio (sp?), but not quit sure exactly what that is or what if there is any risks of actually doing that....my doctor never said yes or no if he thinks i should have that done..he gave me the option....and im not sure what to do....Can ANYONE help me??....are these odd's of 1/140 high enough for concern or not?? any replies would be GREAT help....thanks!!

    Alyson

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Ubiquity
    Posts
    9,922

    Default

    Here is a table of risk with increasing maternal age.

    • Age Risk
      32 - 1/725
      33 - 1/592
      34 - 1/465
      35 - 1/365
      36 - 1/287
      37 - 1/255
      38 - 1/177
      39 - 1/139
      40 - 1/109
      41 - 1/85
      42 - 1/67
      43 - 1/53
      44 - 1/41
      45 - 1/32
      46 - 1/25
      47 - 1/20
      48 - 1/16
      49 - 1/12


    The reason you would be considered a higher risk is usually depending on your age. The other factors (ie. nuchal fold scan) also affects the risk. Have you had a nuchal fold scan? When I had a nuchal fold scan with Paris it lowered my risk it was around 1/1500 to 1/9000 which is extremely low.

    I guess the question you need to ask yourself is "does it matter if my baby has downs" If you know what I mean. And then way up the risks of amniocentisis, as even though they are small there is a slight chance of miscarriage or clubfoot. And you need to think about whats most important to you.

    I know how hard this must be to go through, I have had a few gf's go through the very same situation. And they all came back fine after amnio, but they both said that they needed to be sure. So please try not to worry too much as that can be just as harmful to the baby.

    For more information Login to our BellyBelly website and check out these articles:

    Prenatal Testing
    Amniocentesis

    Let us know how you go, and feel free to lean on us at anytime for support. Its what we are here for!

    Goodluck!

    *hugs*
    Cailin

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kilmore Vic
    Posts
    2,164

    Default

    Hi there,
    I had an amnio during my 2nd pregnancy, my baby had enlarged ventricles in the brain and we wanted to be sure there was no major genetic problems.

    The amnio itself did not hurt and there is a risk to your unborn child, so I guess you have to weigh up that with your decision. I suggest you contact your doctor to discuss this in greater detail and take someone with you for support. While your Doctor won't make the decision for you he/she should be able to give you more info so you can make an informed decision.

    Hope this helps and good luck with everything
    Michelle

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    In considering whether or not to have the amnio you should try to find out as much as you can about the risks and all the pros and cons. That's the only way you can make an informed choice. Is there downs syndrome in your family, and is the risk of the baby having downs high enough to justify having the test? That's something you need to decide.

    Bon

  5. #5
    Orkids Guest

    Default

    Have you had an ultrasound yet?? Having the wrong EDD can muck that test up (if its the one I'm thinking of). Did you have a Nuchal Translucency ultrasound at 12-13 weeks??

  6. #6
    Meelamay Guest

    Default

    Hi Alyson

    I know how you feel, I got a call from my Ob yesterday following my 13 week nuchal translucency and blood tests telling me that Bubba was an increased risk of 1/74 for Downs. I don't think I have ever been as upset as I was yesterday afternoon. More than anything I think it is the shock of hearing that there is a little pothole in our road.

    I have an appointment today to go through our options and the next steps that can be taken. I am so grateful for a supportive partner and our wonderful families who have rallied around us.

    I am just trying to stay positive, it is still a small risk and if we have an amnio it will hopefully show that Bubba is fine and we will have some certainty.

    Best Wishes
    Tamra

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Switzerland at the moment
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Tamra,

    So sorry to hear you have to go through that! I hope that everything is fine with your bubs! I am wishing you and your partner lots of strength in what is probably a really hard time for both of you!

    Love

    Snowy

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Hi, just popping in to add my two cents worth.

    My sister has a child with Downs syndrome, but I decided not to have the screening done. I would love any child of mine the same, and I''m prepared to go through the extra work a child with a disabilty makes.

    My midwife told me that because of my sister I was an increased risk, but if I would have the baby regardless of the results, then there wasn't much point in having the scan done, unless I wanted to for my own peace of mind. We figured that since we didn't care, and we weren't particularly worried, we wouldn't take the tiny risk of miscarriage. But if you are worried, or don't think you could cope with a child with a disabilty (because it is a strain, and extra work) maybe it would be best to get the scan done. My sister had to get a scan when she had her third child, as having one child with downs syndrome not only increases the risk with subsequent children, but increases the risk of something else as well (can't remember what). And Joren was born completely healthy, and there was no trouble from the scan.

    So that's just my experience, hope it helps.

  9. #9
    Meelamay Guest

    Default

    Thanks for your support.

    My partner and I decided before we started trying to conceive that if there was a disability then we would terminate. In all seriousness that has made the last day harder as we have no ambiguity in the end result if we get the worst news.

    I know that the worst part is the waiting. We have had the amnio booked in for the 10th May and then the results take time to come through. The next 4 1/2 weeks are going to go so slowly.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    754

    Default

    just popping in, welcome to belly belly tamra,
    this is kinda a lil of track too, but please know that i dont mean any offence , if anyone does tell me and ill get it deleted..

    I hope anthony and I dont need to go down this road when we concieve as we have two very completely different views, Anthony says if I get told theres a high risk he says i have to do the amnio and then if they say the child will have downs he would expect me to terminate.. me on the other hand, I tell him that if there is a high risk of downs there is no way im having an amnio or terminating the pregnancy because i would still want the child and to put in the extra work..

    dont get me wrong its everyones own personal choice as to what they do so i dont mean any offence to those who would terminate, none at all (hope i havent offended anyone) , ultimatley though I tell anthony that the baby is in my belly and if he pressured me in any way whatsoever, or said he didnt want the child because it was disabled i told him i would leave, bit harsh but i feel so strongly about that..

    anyway i went off track speaking about my own personall opinons.. hope i havent offended and i have nothing against those who would choose to terminate as like i said its everyones own personal choice

    tamra and alsyon i hope everything turns out good for your lil bubs
    take care
    Lesley

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Just wanted to say good luck to Alyson and Meelamay!

    This must be a difficult time for you both.

    I know when the question was asked to DB and myself at our first OB app I automatically wanted to. DB was a little unsure. Even though I decided to do the test, at that point I still was not sure what I would have done if the results came back high risk. A part of me knew that I would not want an amino as i didn't like the risk of a MC (having had a MC in Nov-the pregnancy alone has been stressful enough). But then not knowing for sure about the DS. Very hard decision.

    Please keep us up to date. I would like to know how you both get on.

  12. #12
    Orkids Guest

    Default

    Best of luck to you both from me as well.

    I've always strongly felt that I'd terminate if I found I was carrying a child with Downes - however now I'm pregnant, I'd hate to have to make the decision.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kilmore Vic
    Posts
    2,164

    Default

    We were faced with the same thing when preg with our 2nd. Excess fluid in the brain was cause for alarm and so off we ent. We opted for the amnio, and had numerous ultrasounds, and the level remained slightly above average for the entire time of testing. We had decided together that we would not continue with the preg if there was a significant problem, and it was one of the hardest decisions we have ever had to make, especially since we could see our baby and feel our baby moving around. You have to make the decision that is right for you and your family, and try not to let the opinions of others sway you, which is hard. Be true to yourself and you will make the correct decision.

    Fortunately for us we continued with the preg on advice that there appared there would be no major problems and have a gorgeous DS aged 41/2, who is clever and funny and has no problems at all.

    I wish both of you girls the best with your testing and send you heaps of support in this difficult time.
    Best wishes Michelle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •