Thread: confused!!!!!

stc Guest

Default confused!!!!!

Hi all, Well i'm currently 6w4d PG(Due 27/7/06). My confusion is: When do you usually start seeing your doctor in relation to your pregnancy and when is your first ultra sound? :-s I told my doctor about my pregnancy, naturally his first response was congratulations. When I enquired in relation to tests (referring to ultrasound) he said not to worry about any of that yet, but did not give me any dates to come back and see him..
    As you can tell this is our first pregnancy and I feel completely and utterly clueless. I'm reading as much as I can but am worried that if I go back to my doctor too early, I'll look stupid, and naturally if too late, will look incompetent.....
    Tracie

Tracey - Congrats on the pregnancy!!!!!
    I found out i was pregnant at 6 weeks and now go to the doctors every 4 weeks. I had blood tests straight away. then my first U/S at 12weeks. then my second at 20weeks - Maybe you should ring your doctors surgery and ask the reception ladies what the procedure is.

Jacci

Hmm, he should have given you a better idea of what to do in relation to appointments!
    Anyway, if you're going through midwives or a GP (shared care), then it's usually at between 8 and 10 weeks, so I've been told. They can give you a referral for the blood tests and the first ultrasound, and they'll tell you at what stage you should do those (10-12 weeks for bloods and from 12 wks for u/s).
    Go to your local library and there are plenty of books available on pregnancy and what to expect. You'll get a better idea of what you should be doing and when, the foods to avoid and the lifestyle changes you may need to make (like, maybe no skydiving for a while!). Read all you can as soon as you can so that you can spend the rest of the pregnancy expecting the changes and planning for post-partum! That's what I did - my girlfriend loaded me up with books when i first told her we were going off the pill (and told me to start folic acid intake!), and I got other books from the library and I've pretty much read all that I can take (and I need to get back to my school books now!). Now, at 12 weeks, I'm thinking ahead to coming home with the bubba For now, I'm a bit ahead of myself, but then again, I'll be studying for exams at about the time I take maternity leave from work so I probably need to be.
    Look into preggers yoga and if you're not comfortable with the level of care you're getting from the GP, either get another one, or go straight to midwifery care.
    And, from here on in, don't worry about appearing too keen - YOU'RE having this baby, not the doctor, so you get to ask as many questions as you need to, and if you need to see the doc more often than the general guidelines, then do it. Better to look really keen than to let something go because you dont' want to seem to pushy.
    Hey, it's my first, too, and my June belly buddies are great to throw ideas around with. If you haven't already dropped into the July belly buddies, then it might be a good idea to get you into a context You may want to have a foot in two camps, in case, and introduce yourself in the August belly buddies.
    Just remember, wait till YOU feel comfortable before you think 'don't worry about it', don't listen to anyone else if you don't.
    And congratulations! I've only just announced mine to friends, so it's weird to be finally congratulated by people you know after only seeing professionals for weeks!

stc Guest

Default Thanks

Thank you to you both...
    Your advise helped alot... I think i've decided to try a doctor closer to home instead of travelling the 40 to my family's GP... It might make me a little less hesitant to ask questions....

I don't think you would normally see a GP as your primary carer, unless it was shared with the midwives at the hospital. Maybe you should contact the hospital you plan on going to and find out how they do things. When I called they told me I would see a certain GP (on their specific list) for most of my appointments and they would organise blood tests/ultrasounds etc and then I would go into the midwife clinic at the hospital for my other appointments.

I hope that's not too confusing

Tracey - I only see my GP. and he wants to see me once a month then when i get to 28 weeks every fortnight and then every week from 35 weeks

I see a GP who has access rights to the local maternity hospital, but usually is not at the births. There are hospital midwives who consult through the clinic adn work alongside the GP - that's called shared care. My first appointment was mainly with a midwife and I briefly spoke to the GP, but the next app will be equally spent with both of them. I had both the birth centre midwifery program and this particular GP recommended to me for my pregnancy, and I went with the GP in the end.
    Like Jacci, my apps are going to be about 4 weeks apart until a bit later.
    You'll find the method that suits you best, but remember that it is of utmost importance, especially for the birth, that you are entirely comfortable with those who will care for you.
    Good luck

Just moving this to Pregnancy General Discussion

bianca_m Guest

hey stc
    i think the best thing to do is ask your gp for a hospital referral and then ring what ever hospital you like and make an appointment i had my first appointment at 6 weeks and had to have standard tests and things like that the first ultrasound id usually 12 weeks but sometimes if you want to have a downsindrome screaning the ultrasound is around 11 weeks
    when it comes to pregnancy i found gps are only good for getting referrals and the sooner you get booked in to the hospital the easyer things are