Thread: Confused by GP

Default Confused by GP

So the story goes that I went to the GP on Monday to formally confirm the pregnancy and get referrals etc..... to cut a long story short - he didn't want to do a urine test and today when i called for the results it turns out that he didn't even test for a HCG level. I am a little concerned A) because I want a medically confirmed pregnancy - not just from something I bought in coles and B) because HCG is a good indicator of both how far along you are and of the health of the developing foetus (i.e. HCG level going up = good).

But alas - from him I have nothing except a form to get an ultrasound at 12 weeks. (at what I THINK is 12 weeks) He didn't even seem to think I needed a referral to an OB/gym - I am very concerned because this is our first, it is unplanned and because we aren't telling anyone just yet I don't have anyone to ask about how normal this kind of response from the GP is.

What have been your experiences with the GP?

Oh, I was completely confused by my GP so you're not alone! I can't actually remember if he did a pregnancy test though and he confused me big-time about the 12 week scan.

Not sure if you're thinking of going public or private. That's a whole other debate but if you go private it's basically up to you to organise your ob. My GP gave me a list of obs who serviced our area and it was up to me to choose one - I think he gave me some notes to take with me that basically said he'd seen me and that I was pregnant.

Not sure what you do if you're going public but I'm sure the other girls will come in and tell you.

But if you're uncomfortable with what's happening, then could you see a different GP? Maybe what he's doing is normal but it's important to feel reassured and confident with the way things are going too. There's enough to worry about when you're pregnant let alone whether the GP has got all his ducks in a row.

Hmmm well it seems a little strange that he didn't do any kind of test... mine did a urine test but not a blood test, and usually all they'll do is a qualitative blood test which tests for HCG (the quantitative ones measures how much HCG). If you're really worried you could go back and request a quantitative HCG blood test.

Also, have you decided what type of care you are going with? Some GPs assume you'll use the public hospital services (midwife and/or ob) and some assume you want to go with a private ob, so you might have to go back and ask. Though it is also a little weird that you didn't refer you to any at all.... you might have to choose what type of care you want, contact them, and find out if you need a GP referral, and then go back to the GP if you do. Don't leave it to late though, I know private ob's do book quickly. If you are going public, contact the ante-natal clinic and see if they need a referral. They usually see you at 12-14 weeks at the earliest.

Sorry - I didn't clarify that he did send me for a blood test but he didn't request HCG on that blood test.

The ante natal clinic at the local hospital has an 'open time' on Sunday afternoons so I think that I will go along to that this sunday and find out what it is all about.

My gp refused a HCG as well.
    Saying that is is irrelevant at the early stages and they dont go off the HCG anyhow until you are further along, or had problems TTC etc etc.
    I demanded one lol... and made him write it on the form eventually. Only because i had bleeding from week 4-7 and no period since septemeber 2006... yes 2006!.

My yes never knew HCG with DD #1. i guess the same reason - it isnt accurate for telling dates anyhow as the ranges are so vast. And if you realy needed to know how far along then you would be better off getting a 6 week scan.

if you havent had any bleeding or concerns then they generally dont care for HCG levels.
    As for nothing until 12 weeks from your GP this is pretty standard as well. They will give you the referral and go from there. It seems like a long time doing nothing but there isnt much to do!

When you have decided what hospital you want to go to or ob you want (sometimes the Gp's dont refer as it is your decision_ then you ask your GP for a referral letter - give the GP the details for the referral (address, names etc) and then they will type and fax your referral and you go from there.

With DD2 the GP never done a urine test nor requested HCG levels, jusr routine bloods. I did however get a form for the hospital to book in and a referral for a dating scan. This was when i was around 7 weeks along. The scan was due to not knowing LMP.

DD1 i was given a urine test, BT (but not requested HCG) and sent packing!

This bub ive not even been to the GP yet and im 12 weeks tomorrow

Does it really matter? I have had 4pgs - I have only ever had one of those confirmed by a blood test, never had a urine pg test done by my Dr and I have never known what my 'levels' were. Might sound flippant, but at this stage everything is in the hands of mother nature/fate/God - take your pick. You know you are Pg don't you? The first trimester is really hard to fathom because there is not a lot of care required from our GP's so apart from a referral to a knOb if you're seeing one or to a midwife based care program and a referral for blods at 9wks there isn't much else required - you don't even need an early scan for dating purposes if you know your dates and if you were actively trying to conceive.

With Ash my Gp just did urine test and routine bloods and told me to come back for a referral letter once I worked out where I was going, that was it. She pointed out at the early stages there isn't much they can do its pretty much a matter of waiting til that 12 week mark to get u/s and I think I saw an Ob at hospital at 10 weeks or so?

I never had either of my pgs confirmed by the GP. He said the HPK are so accurate now there was no need. I asked for a referral to an ob and I was given one. And that was it! I didn't expect anything else though.

I only had a HCG test with DS & that was coz at 9 weeks my ms suddenly got worse. They wanted to make sure everything was OK. & they gave me the form for my dating ultrasound at 12 weeks. With the girls all I had was a urine test to confirm the pg.
    With DS nothing. With DS I only had one urine test through the whole pg when I booked in at the hospital & ante natal clinic.

I didn't have a urine or blood test for this pregnancy. It was pretty obvious I was pregnant from the four HPT I did. I was offered dating scan but didn't bother, as I knew when I had conceived. I was given some blood test forms for the first trimester screening and HIV, Hep B etc and my 12 week scan request. I asked for a referrel because I knew which OB I wanted to see. I then booked my OB straight away.
    Last edited by Miss Lightning; June 25th, 2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: adding info.

I went to the GP today. She took one look at my HPTs and said I was definitely pg. She offered to do the urine test if I was worried or anxious or particularly wanted it confirmed but I decided her reaction to the HPTs was enough for me (i was only getting faint lines that haven't gotten darker).

I had blood taken but I think it was routine stuff re: Hep C, antibodies etc not to confirm the pregnancy. She told me to book in for a scan at about 8 weeks and put me down for a local ob (we only have a couple in my town) to see him after the scan. Apparently they like to get women in to the ob before 10 weeks to make sure all is ok and it isn't a multiple birth. I know my LMP date so I doubt it's a dating scan. It appears to just be a local policy between the practice and the local base hospital.

She also said the stuff the other girls here have said - aside from bloods and a scan there isn't any more to do now until much later. She told me to avoid soft cheese and raw fish and get on with my life. Too easy so far!

If you're worried, it can't hurt to see a different GP.

The days of going to the doctor to have a pregnancy actually confirmed are drawing to a close. Most of them don't even bother doing another pee test in the office anymore let alone a blood test. The home tests that are on the market now are extremely reliable and you are no more likely to get a false postive with one of them, than you are with the test the doctors used.

I've been pregnant four times and have only had HCG levels done once - when I had a suspected blighted ovum. Even the pregnancy I had with a private obstetrician - no HCG testing. The only pregnancy that was ever confirmed with a blood test was the first one - which was 10 years ago.

I think for alot of them it comes down the fact there isn't much to be gained from doing it (except your piece of mind which is of course important) but the way they see it even if the HCG is low, early pregnancy is a waiting game and there is nothing that can be done about low HCG anyway.
    Congrats btw!
    Last edited by Tobily; June 25th, 2008 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks - Well that has all made me feel a little bit better. I'm not too concerned by dates - I know approximately but not 100% but it is within one week and I figure that they will let me know at the 12 week scan otherwise.

Now to just put up with everthing symptom wise for the next 6 - 8 weeks... Bring it on....perhaps this is alljust about teaching me patience