Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation in Pregnancy

Default Constipation in Pregnancy

Hi all,

It seems to me that constipation in pregnancy is one of the least glamorous bits about being pregnant, and this past week has seen my suffering big time........I can't poo!!

However, I had this problem in my last pregnancy, so from tomorrow I am on a mission to fix it! Here is what worked for me, hopefully it will work again, and if anyone else has any tricks that work, please let me know!

~ Loads of water, fruit and veg, and a spoonful of sugar on my branflakes in the morning
    ~ A banana smoothie with phylissium husks blended in.......works like a charm the next day......a bit like a colonic irrigation!
    ~ When you do get the urge to go, instead of leaning forward on the loo, lean back as far as you can.....seems to make the, umm, passage open up a bit?

Any other things that work?

lots and lots and lots of fruit juice. Cause I was taking a very high dose of iron tablets, so high it has to be asked for specifically I was drinking a pile of orange juice to help the iron absorb and to keep the bowels loose

Love

Pear juice worked for me!

layla Guest

Yup, fruit juice is great, but you can't beat plain old water. 8-10 glasses a day and that should help too but you sound like you've got the right idea anyway.
    I had this problem is my previous pg's and am determined to avoid it this time. So far so good................. 8-[

i have a glass of metamucil twice a day, one in the morning, one in the arvo. is great because really gentle, doesnt give you the runs or anything, just keeps nice and regular.

Crikey's... I was just talking to my G/F about this as she always gets constipated when preg... me never!!!!

Anyways she said she used Nulax & plenty of fruits & veggies!!!

What about licorice? I love dutch salted licorice....mmmm....mmmmm....!

Kirsty77 Guest

Grrrrrrrrr...................I hate constipation!

I have found that fruit helps alot!But I never knew sitting back on the toilet helps....hmmmm.......must try that.

just a tip. make sure if you do have constipation that you do something about it, dont let it go too long because the constant straining can cause haemroids, did with me.

If you are having trouble getting one out, dont just sit on the toilet and push and push, this is really bad, go and have some metamucil, or fruit or whatever helps you and try again later.

HMMM> Maybe Chomps are good :-k , I have already had 4-5 nice soft easy to drop pooh's today!

Ha Ha Ha, I bet you all wanted & needed to know that!???? \/ :-s

As usual TRacey, you crack me up. BTW I thought the Chomps were out - just call me the Chomp police.

A "trick" that I was told once and always works for me, but only when there is some there that just won't quite make it out (IYKWIM) - while sitting on the toilet, massage slowly in a circular action down from your belly button to your pelvic bone.

Thanks for that information Trace - my day is now complete ROFL!

Something that always works for me is Darrell Lea licorice and also McDonalds thickshakes (although am not sure if you can have these in pregnancy?)

Keen

OOOOH, Yeah..

I was in bali preg with DD & craving burger ringhs, bbq shapes & Darrell Lea licorice, so Mum & Dad visited & brought 3 bags of each, in 2 days I ate all the licorice.... No runs either ohhh, I love that stuff, now you got me wanting it!!!

Anney, I had a little treat size one around 12ish, let me tell ya what i have eaten so far today...

A cup of tea, a folate tablet, 3 weetbix, then I had a Chicken, lettuce, tomato , cheese & Mayo snadwich, then the Chomp & a hand ful of grapes & just now a ham, cheese, tomato, lettuce, cucumber & onion roll & big Roll too! MMMM, so I only got fruit left now & a marshmallow easster egg & a caramello!!!!

Think I better skip dinner tonight!?

oh my goodness tracey, that is some appetite!

colleeg Guest

Yes i found a good breakfast cereal is helping me, however when you need to move it, liquorice helps a lot- but just trying to keep up the water and juices. Also prunes and dates are great!

hope this helps
    Colleeg

prune juice is even quicker than prunes, take it easy though, if you have too much, shocker cramps and diorhea, ewww!

Kirsty77 Guest

Geez Tracey what an appetite....but I was like that a couple of weeks ago, able to eat whatever but then all of a sudden I get really full really quick!Can't eat as much now without feeling sick and have even lost a little weight!

My cure for constipation last night was mcdonalds's!Half a big mac and this morning ewwwwwwwww........so sick!!!!

Yuck!!!!

Default Constipation worry.......

Hi.
    I had very bad constipation in my second pregnancy to the stage where the toilet bowl was red! OOUCH. I went to the chemist and told them how far pregnant I was and i was given "ParaChoc", I had to have 40mls in one go and I am sad to say it didn't help at all in fact i m/c a couple of days later. I was devastated!
    Thankfully this pregnancy has been great so far with no worries in that department but i have been having cereal most mornings as well as plenty of fruit juice. Those together work wonders. Even if the problem arises again there is no way i will be taking any form of medicine, I will just eat heaps of fruit and drink loads of water.

In the past week I have drunk more than 8L of fruit juice (apple, orange, pineapple) and heaps of water. I've eaten an entire pineapple in the last two days & two punnets of strawberries over a few days.

NOTHING IS WORKING!!!

Is metamucil really that good? And is it ok to take at this stage of pregnancy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast