Thread: Contaminated Urine

Default Contaminated Urine

Hey guys..

I had a blood and urine test on Friday and my doc called me and told me that the test came back saying i had contaminated urine and that they need me to give another sample. She asked if i had any problems when passing urine and i said no, no pain or blood or anything.. and she said it should be ok but they need to test again. My CM may have been a little yellowish, can that mean anything?
    Now im just worried. What happens if it turns out to be contaminted? Will any treatment halm the baby?
    Im so scared that something will go wrong.

I think she may mean the the sample itself was contaminated? I am sure you are fine. Even if the second test shows you have a UTI, everything will still be fine. I was told they are pretty common in pregnancy.

Yeh i think thats what she said, the sample was contaminated ?
    Oh really? How do they treat you if you have one? Like i said i havent had any pain or anything whatsoever down there, touch wood, so im hoping youre right. [-o<

Treatment for UTI is usually antibiotics. You'd be given ones in grade A so they are safe for pregnancy. I had a UTI when pregnant with DD but i never had any symptoms.

A contaminated urine sample is extremely common whether you are pregnant or not. In an otherwise healthy person, urine is sterile, so contaminatino by germs suggests that there is an infection of the urinary tract. The problem is, however, that when you wee, the urine passes over your skin, which is not sterile. That is why most doctors will ask for a "mid stream" urine sample - because if you take the urine "mid-wee", so to speak, the area will be rnised and the urine sample will be as clean as possible. However, sometimes, you still get contamination.

It's nowhere as scary as it sounds, and to the best of my knowledge, there are many antibiotics which can be used to treat a UTI, if that is what it really is, that are not harmful to the developing baby.

i had to do a urine test and it was also contaminated. the doctor said that the container may have touched the skin area or, as someone else suggested, the urine may have dribbled over the skin and skin cells entered the specimen. they just did a test on the urine to find out what sort of 'contamination' it was. so they will probably do the same thing for you. it sounds as if getting a contaminated result is quite common.

I had the same thing with the last urine sample I did at about 32wks pregnant. Had to go back and provide another sample; and apparently the 'contamination' was inconclusive. Either way, the 2nd sample was fine.

If I recall correctly, I had been to the loo right before I left home and gave the 1st sample...this made giving a 'mid-stream' urine sample rather difficult! *LOL*

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.. it made me destress a little to know that it maybe treatable or incorrect.

I did what Schmickers said, midstream, with my doc this morning. She tested it there and said it seems to be clear for her.. but she said she'll send it away just to make sure.. so fingers crossed it was just a faulse alarm.. suppose will see over the next few days.

Thanks again for the reassurance.