Thread: Crikies what to do

Default Crikies what to do

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
    sorry had to get that off my chest, just been flicking through the parent and birth posts and realise i have so much to organise, but i dont know where to start!

What do i need to do? and when does it need to be done by iykwim!
    Ive already posted about hospitals, but im freaking out incase this first time mum forgets something, or leaves something to late!
    With the ultrasounds, does my Dr refer me? or do i need to do that myself? what about the dating scan when does that happen?

I think its a mixture of being blonde and being pg thats making me like this lol, i cant stop freaking out! and Rick's not helping telling me to settle down or being himself and making jokes out of it! (which normally i could see the funny side but atm im not finding it funny)! :mad:

TIA

LMAO Naomi... breathe in breathe out

Are you going public or private ?

If public ring the hospital you wish to deliver at and get yourself booked into their antenatal care. They probably wont see you till around the 10wk mark or later.

If private you need to choose an obstetrician you wish to deal with

A dating scan probably wont happen via the hospital unless you pay for it yourself, so your 1st ultrasound will be the Nuchal Fold Test around weeks 10-12 which if you are public should be free via the hospital.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Love

Thanks Kat, *breathe in* *breathe out* lol

Im going public - dont know what hospital, having that drama too LMAO (but did a post about that one)
    but once i choose one i need to ring up and book myself in?
    how do i get a dating scan then?
    and whats the nuchal fold test about?

yes it does help! I really just cant stop FREAKING OUT lmao

what else is there i need to do? is there anything else i need to do or look at or anything?

Sit back relax and take it easy !! Stop stressing. There isn't a great deal that happens in the first trimester.

You may need a referral from your GP to get you into the hospital. I had one from mine. When I had the referral I rang Lyell Mc (in my case) and said I am x amount of weeks pregnant and can I get booked in with your antenatal care. They then organise a date over the phone with you for your 1st appointment.

Unless you are really unsure of how many weeks you are a dating scan is not necessary, but you can mention your previous m/carriage on the phone to the hospital and ask them if it is possible to get a dating scan. They will advise you if they think you need one or not and how to go about it.

The nuchal fold test is an u/sound with blood test and determines if your child is at risk of Down Syndrome.

Love

Some Dr's will do the referal to the hospital you wish to have the baby in and then the hospital will send out the time and date of your book in appt which can be around 10-12wks. Then you should get the forms to book your 12wks scan in and you just take it from there.
    Also you can do shared care or just hospital care.
    Shared care you go between your Dr and the m/w at the hospital and hospital care you have all your appt's with them.

Thankyou Kat, that takes a load off!! LMAO

I wont freak out til 14wks now!!!! hehehe

What i might do is tell my Dr my concerns about the previous m/c etc and see what he says, then i might give W&C hospital a call and see from there

Thanks so much, i have actually calmed down quite a bit, im not typing no where near as fast!!!!

do they really michelle? cool, so i think the best thing is to talk to my Dr before i do anything!
    Hehe thankyou, what would i do with you lovely ladies!!!

LMAO Naomi. I could hear those keyboard keys pounding from here. Trust me I was exactly the same the first time around and I never had BellyBelly back then

Love

oh i would go absolutely crazy if it wasnt for BellyBelly!!! either that or i would be running up the phone bill talking to Amy and my mum!!! ROFPML

Rick was in the lounge room and yelled out to me to settle down typing!!!

Aww Naomi *hugs* It seems so overwhelming doesn't it?!

Sounds like Kathryn has pretty well covered everything for you! Basically what I did was go to my GP and he told me everything I needed to know, what I had to organise straight away & then he gave me a sheet with a listing of all the appointments I had to go to. The dates were left blank they just said 12 weeks or 16 weeks etc. So I stuck it to the fridge & wrote my dates on it as I went.
    Last edited by {sarah}; October 4th, 2006 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks Sarah, yeah i think Kat knows where i am coming from!! LOL
    I might get my Dr do what your Dr did about the app's.

Thanks girls

I'd talk to your Dr and see what he/she has to say and go from there also you have to tell them everything about the m/c and stuff so it's on your file at the hospital.

Just sit back and relax you'll be fine.
    Like Kathryn i never had anything like BB to help me along when i was pg with Kimberley.

It was definately handy, it had the times when u/s are done & because I was doing shared care it told me which were GP & which were hospital appointments. If he doesn't have something like that, I can track it down & type it out for you

oh you guys are the best!!!

Thanks Michelle, i dont know how you copped!! but you did it well!!! thankyou

Thankyou Sarah, i will talk to my Dr and let you know what he says!

What is better though shared care or hospital care? or have i just started another thing thats going to freak me out? lmao

If you only see the one GP all the time he/she may not even do shared care. I wanted to do shared care but my family GP didn't do it and I wasn't about to find another GP that did do it.

If they do, then Shared Care is definitely the better option cause then you don't have to goto the hospital for all your appointments, only major ones. The rest you only need to see your family doctor.

Love

I loved doing shared care I went to the same Dr my mum did shared care with when she was pregnant with us so it was great. He has been my Dr forever so I was very comfortable with him & I didn't have an OB I was seeing.

It's really personal choice - if you have a GP you love & s/he's accredited I'd say go for it