Thread: Diahorrea in pregnancy

Question Diahorrea in pregnancy

Sorry for tmi

I have heard of constipation in pregnancy but I'm just wondering if anyone has had diahorrea in pregnany coz I have had a fair bit of it! Does anyone what causes this?

thanks

Hi Jas
    Congrats on your pregnancy
    I was reading up on this last night (what to expect when you are expecting i am finding it easy to read and informative cheapest at kmart $26.95) apparently it is quite normal to have variations from normal either way (diahorrea to constipation) with digestion its a response to the different hormones milling around your body. From recollection the author suggested trying to play with your diet a little to minimise foods which are very proactive in encouraging digestion (too much dairy, some fruits too much sugar that sort of thing) Sorry i can't remember too much more detail than that.
    If it continues incessantly perhaps chat with your dr about it to make sure it is nothing more sinister?
    Cheerio
    Belinda.

Yeah i was having very few bowel movements not consipation as such then the last 3 days i have had diarrhoea. I think its all part of the joy of pg..

For me diahorea (sp) is always my main pregnancy symptom
    My midwife and ob told me it was just my bodies way of coping with the changes of pregnancy
    I sure hope it settles for you soon though, it can be a pain

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Jas, I definately suffer from the runs in 1st trimester, I also notice that the days I take elevit the diarrhoea is much worse. The days when I have not taken the tablets, I have been fine! Just a thought!

Had to laugh at your "runs comment" Relle, I have had the 'runs' too:eek: . I'm not complaining though, normally I'm all stuffed up SFTMI. I also have the book what to expect when your expecting, and have read not to worry about it. I just try to drink as much as possible.

Yes, unfortunately this is normal.

But I would prefer the runs to the other option! With Patrick it was worse than this time around. I would go twice a day and it would be black!!! TMI

It does seem to be mainly at the start, at around the time that you are in weeks now. I think because your body has to keep that baby going until the placenta kicks in, so your hormones are raging, hence all the symptoms you have at the start. Then things seem to settle down a lot in the second trimester.

At the end of the pregnancy you will probably be constipated, so you'll be wishing you had the runs again! LOL Constipation is much worse when you're as huge as you get at the end - TRUST ME!!!

Thanks everyone so much for your replies, they are really helpful!!!!

It is such a strange and exciting time. Seeing as this is my first I'm not really sure what to expect even though I have read 4 pg books so far and done a lot of research It's a lot different reading about it and experiencing it for yourself.

Thanks again Happy and Healthy pregnancy to everyone.