Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you have your NT scan?.. Thinking I wont...

Question Did you have your NT scan?.. Thinking I wont...

I have pretty much decided to NOT have the NT scan. There is only one lady in this area that does it, and she is a B!TCH.
    It didn't pick up Kanes clefting, i have had such low risks in the past, and dont think i would risk a amnoi or cvs anyway, and there are SO many cases where high riskers were fine. Or low riskers find something wrong later.

Is there statistics on how well this scan does? Is it still pretty much a guessing game, unless you go for invasive testing?

If I do choose to get it done this time, I want to be well informed first!!!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

The NT only picks up risks fro Downs syndrome and Trisomy 18 nothing else.

If you wouldnt terminate for 1 of those no point having the scan as the risks from cvs and amnio are small but still they are a risk IMO.

Butterfly_Princess Guest

I had it but it was purely to see bubs and know that everything was going okay.

Hi purple, I would have to agree with feeb.yet you must take this on as a personal decision. I never expected to get a high risk with my NT scan with this pg, and I ended up with one. I never had one before with any of my other pg'cy's. Yet in a way I am glad that I did have that done (even tho it makes you worry like crazy when faced with a high risk) and then needing to have a CVS which was more stress but knowing that the results would tell me one way or the other if there was a problem or not. Thankfully mine came back normal. Last week when I had my Morphology scan however showed possible soft chromosomal abnormalaties due to the thickening of the nuchal fold, which brought the stress back again. Yet as my Dr's had mentioned that once you have a CVS and given the all clear they do not worry about what the u/s says. If I had not done the CVS however then it would have been a cause to worry. So all in all I am just thankful that I got to the bottom of the NT scan results sooner rather than waiting until the morphology scan to show me those results.

I am thinking now that I have just rambled on, it has probably confused you with what I was trying to say...
    Last edited by csab; June 2nd, 2008 at 11:24 AM.

I agree with feeb and csab - you and your partner should be clear on what you want out of it and why - what would you do??

I don't agree with having them done just to see the baby - just have a normal u/s if you wanna see bubba.

As you know it is screening risk only, not diagnostic. You are still young

I had mine done with my pregs as I was over 30.

Goodluck

Enchanted Guest

I decided against them because I didn't want to be faced with the reality that sometihng could be wrong. I knew I wouldn't want to have an abortion BUT I didn't want the extra stress throughout my pregnancy. For me.. I was happy to deal with whatever hand I was dealt when the time came.

Not sure if I have been any help but I wish you all the best in your decision making! It sure isn't easy!

I only had it once out of my 4pgs and that was with my 2nd, but I was more concerned about her still being ok because 4days before my appointment I had very significant bleed and was terrified I'd lost her so in that respect the timing was excellent. I think there is too much room for error due to the operator and even if your dates are the slightest bit out, it will affect the measurements too.

If you know that the outcome of the scan wont affect your decision to continue the pg, then dont have it kwim?

I didn't have the NT scan this time.
    We never got it with DS either (we didn't really know about it, cause we moved and hadn't gotten a new doctor, etc.)

Good luck with which ever way you decide.
    xx

Hi,
    I agree totally with Feeb. These tests can just put unnecessary stress on you during your pregnancy. I was 37 with my last pregnancy and did not have any diagnostic testing done and had a healthy baby. If your instincts are telling you not to have it, listen to yourself.

regards,
    Dianne

I had it done because I wanted to see bub, and in part I wanted to be informed as well as I was stressing that something was wrong. I knew I would never terminate the pregnancy, but I just needed to KNOW. For me I was stressing so much that not having it done and not knowing would have caused as much stress as having it done and getting a high risk (though I ended up finding something else to stress about anyway ).

I think if you're instincts are telling you to not worry about getting it done then I wouldn't.

I had it done.

They told me high risk - i knew they were wrong. after 24 hours of hell watiing for the CVS results i found out i was right.

Go with your gut feeling hun - with your intuition i doubt you will have anything to worry about!!

I've never had it done. I wouldn't terminate a pregnancy so it seemed pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Leasha~ View Post
    I had it done because I wanted to see bub
    You can still have an ultrasound if you want to see the bub, and tell them you don't want the NT measured.

Jodie, if you are not going to have further testing, then I wouldn't. The NT test is not able to tell you anything conclusive, and if it gives you a "high risk" all it will do is worry you. Trust your instinct.

I didn't have the scan with my first or my current jelly bean. I couldnt possibly terminate so i figured there would be no point. Think of it that way i guess.

yep i had it done. Also i only had it done just to see bubs coz when ur 12 weeks ur not really showing so i needed to make sure it was really happening. it was mainly for mine and DP's peace of mind.

In reguards to the people that say, you wouldnt terminate a pgcy. When you are faced with a decision that your child could possibly have something terribly wrong you are faced with so many questions for yourself.
    I would never ever have thought that I would be faced with such a decision.
    Some of the questions I had to ask myself were:
    What sort of life will my baby be facing?
    How would my children cope?
    How would my DH and my marriage cope?
    Then you are also faced with:
    How am I ever going to live with myself if I had to make this decision.

It is one thing having a m/c, but knowing that there is a decision in your hands that could affect your whole life for the rest of your life is just the most heart wrenching.

My NT scan gave me a 1 in 28 chance of a baby with DS. It was one of the most agonising waits just to have the results from the CVS, but I doubt very much whether I would have coped thru out the whole pg if I didnt know for sure, as well as after a certain point for me due to previous c/s's I had to make a decision quickly JIC the worst was to happen.

I hope I havent upset anyone, but you really have to be certain with what ever you decide is it the best for the baby as well as you and your family. When faced with decisions like this it is never taken lightly.

So whoever is going to go thru with their NT scan and you end up with a high risk result, make sure the decision you make is the right one for you as to whether you want to do a CVS or amnio or not.....

to all....

csab i agree with you....

I do think the scan is worth doing. i believe knowing is better than being in the dark about something.
    the scan is not really about if you would terminate or not, its more about being informed.

all the questions csab asked last post is exactly the questions we asked ourselves before we had our scan done.

Its a personal choice but make sure you are 100% informed about your future and your childrens future. I always like to be prepared for the worst and be happy when everything is ok.

Good luck......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast