Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diet Coke..

I still think natural sugars would be better than chemical sweeteners But I agree.. need to keep balanced views on all these things. There's me avoiding artificial sweeteners, yet I still use deodorant with aluminium in it! If it's not one thing it's another. You'd go crazy trying to follow all the hype

I drink one to two diet cokes a day (usually just one). As for the caffeine, most professionals agree that the amount of caffeine in the equivolent of 2 to 3 cups of coffee per day is safe, and soft drinks have about a third to half of the caffeine in one cup of coffee. Regular coke is no doubt a better choice but I have GD so sugar is a no-no for me. Both my dr and my nutritionist are fine with me having 1 to 2 a day - but do what you feel comfortable with.

Cheers
    Stephanie

Fee Guest

I would steer clear of any softdrinks whenever possible and definitely ones with caffeine in them.

In Sydney Morning Herald today:

Pregnant women who drink more than three cups of coffee a day are at a significantly higher risk of miscarriage or stillbirth, a study warns.

A survey of almost 90,000 women in Denmark found that those who drank four to seven cups of coffee a day during pregnancy had a 33 per cent increased risk of foetal death, and those who drank eight or more cups had a 59 per cent increased risk.

Dr Debra Kennedy, director of the MotherSafe advice centre at Sydney's Royal Hospital for Women, said moderation was the key.

"We normally say up to three cups a day is absolutely fine," she said.

"But it's not great health-wise anyway to have eight cups of coffee a day, let alone if you're pregnant."

The study adjusted for other factors such as alcohol consumption and smoking.

After adjusting for these factors, the study found that those who drank half to three cups of coffee a day had a 3 per cent increased risk of foetal death than those who drank no coffee.
    So moderation is definitely important. But we already knew that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12