Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downsyndrome Scan

Lorin Guest

Default Downsyndrome Scan

Hey guys

Im 11 weeks this satty and am going for my downs scan after 12 weeks. wanting to know if you get a picture of your baby at this scan or do you have to make another ultrasound scan to get picture.

Also i was told to have my blood test done 2 - 3 days prior to scan. well i am getting my scan done monday afternoon and well i was gunna do blood test friday morning but the ultrasound clinic said it has to be 3 working days prior to scan which really would make it wednesday which is 2 extra days than what my doctors said.

Any one know??

When i had my 12 week scan done i got a few piccies of bubs including some 3d image ones and also a dvd of the session.

You are supposed to have your blood tests done prior as the results with the scan are used to determine the risk levels.

but im sure that once you have both of them done your doctor can gather the info and give u the results when ready.

I was able to get my results about 2 hours after i had my scan done.

oh and good luck with your scan its the most amazing experience ever!!

Fee Guest

I had this scan taped and I also got photos.

Lorin Guest

Oh ok well did you have to pay extra for the video and 3d pics and so forth

Fee Guest

Nope it's free for me. I get all my scans taped and get photos.

i only had to pay 10 dollars more for the dvd

Lorin Guest

Are you doing it through Share Care.

Lorin Guest

Im going through share care and all my ultrasounds and stuff are paid for but this downsyndrome scan is not because im under a certain age and u dont get it done for free. So yer i have to pay $150 for my scan.

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lorin
    Are you doing it through Share Care.
    I'm seeing a private OB. When I said it was free I meant to get the photos etc. And with the video we just take a tape in and they record it for us.

The actual scan costs around $50.

Lorin Guest

Ok cool i guess i will just have to wait and see

Lorin Guest

Ok well thank you for all your help.

Maybe call the u/s place and ask, that's what I did.

I wrote a list of questions like about payment method options and getting a dvd done, reception was able to tell me what technology was in the room my appt's in (think one of the rooms only does VHS videos) and that I could bring in a dvd or pay $10 for one of theirs.
    She wasn't sure what sort of dvd I needed so I think I'll just buy it

But yeah, call and ask, where you have your u/s should be able to give you the info you need.

All the best!

Lorin Guest

Thats an idea, i will do that for sure.
    Thanks heaps xoxox O

I had my blood test a week before so that the doctor at the ultrasound place would have my results at the same time as the ultrasound results. They need both to calculate your risk factors and I am pretty sure your doctor would not do these calculations.

At least this is my understanding.

I am a public patient.....so the NT scan was a requested scan therefore not covered by medicare.

I payed $150 for the scan, I got over 40 min of video time (I took my own video) and about 5 photos.

The blood it meant to be taken before your scan.

It is such a rewarding experience tho...worth the $150.

Lorin, I too had my scan on a Monday afternoon - the clinic asked me to have my bloods taken on the Friday prior so had them done in the morning.

We got pictures from this scan - it seems to differ from place to place.

It's a wonderful experience

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Most Public hospitals in NSW won't let you video/DVD but will give you photos - we have our photos on our website.

Chrissy & Lorin -did they say you couldn't claim anything from medicare ? Not just they wouldn't bulk bill you or $0 through hospital.
    I know others who have -the bloodtest is rebated by medicare but still about 50% out of pocket.

All the ladies are correct about why they ask for BT before scan.They usually ask for bloodtest before the scan to calculate the risk - though I had my scan and BT the same day (in two pregnancies at same hospital) and the DR from hospital called me the next day to tell me the risk once BT results here in.

When we have 18-19wk at private u/s place - we took our own video - and they gave us photos on plain paper and emailed a few (same ones) to home computer.
    The pics weresn't as good as 12wk ones though - babies were camera shy and put their hands in the way.

my midwife told me they like to have the u/s done first, just to make sure of dates, as if you are not as far as you think you have to go back and get another one done. so i am having my scan on mon20th followed by bloods.

They all seem to contradict each other

chrissy :flower:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast