Thread: To dye or not to dye.

Default Hair Colouring

Hi All-

Another "what is safe" question - I've heard a rumour that colouring your hair when pregnant may not be safe. Is this true? Is there anything I can (safely) do to cover my "natural highlights"?

Hi Tanyah
    There is a really cool book that is called what to expect when expecting, and i was reading up on just this last night.
    I guess the gist of it was that it is potentially not good to have a solution on your scalp as it does absorb, but they also said that with improvements in treatments it is not particularly harmful.
    I would recommend going somewhere that works with organic colours derived from plants. Also if you are just having highlights, i wouldn't imagine that your skin will come into contact with a huge amount of toxicicty.
    Also, i reckon that if having your hair done is going to make you feel better, then it is worth doing, cause feeling a little pampered is a beautiful thing.
    Where do you live, cause i can recommend a couple of good colouring salons if you are interested.
    Cheers
    Amanda

If are worried, then it's best to leave it until after 12 weeks to have your hair coloured. Some hairdressers will colour at any stage of pregnancy, others won't touch you unless you're past 12 weeks.

There is no conclusive studies which shows whether it is safe or unsafe (as it is unethical to test these things on pregnant women) however, studies have shown that some potentially harmful ingredients (cant remember which ones - maybe ammonia??) have shown up in non-pregnant womens urine 4 hours after colouring hair so some people do think that it is unsafe. In saying that, my Ob told me it was safe after 12 weeks at which time I started colouring my hair and have done so several times in the past 20 weeks without any concerns.

from wat i have read and i have asked my hair dresser it isnt that it is unsafe it is that r hair might go a slightly dif colour.

i dyed my hair the whole time i was pregnant with no problems....

I wouldnt do it in the 1st 12 weeks but thats just me.

Being an ex-hairdresser who has colored her hair since she was 17, I can offer this unless you're allergic to hair coloring products...safe, safe, safe, safe.

I've been reading up on this subject of late as I'm needing a dye job right now to cover some greys but most books recommend not doing it in the first trimester. Basically the books say no studies have really been done on the effects of the chemicals contained in the hair dye so best to avoid it. If you really feel you must they suggested to get foils as the chemicals will not hit your scalp, therefore cannot be absorbed into the rest of your body.

Due to my history I'm not taking any risks so will wait until another 4 weeks at least before I color my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by sassy123 View Post
    from wat i have read and i have asked my hair dresser it isnt that it is unsafe it is that r hair might go a slightly dif colour.
    This is what ive heard too. Theres nothing been proven that colouring your hair effects the baby. I have a book called BIRTH and it says its totally fine. I did all through my pregnancy with DS and he turned out fine

Default To dye or not to dye.

To dye or not to dye. That is the question.

What do you all think about dying your hair during pregnancy?
    I always just thought it was bad, but then I was searching around and some people say it's ok.
    It's not like I need to dye my hair. I just wondered what you all thought.

xx

( I wasn't sure where to actually post this, but I thought since I'm in my first trimester this would be an alright place. Lol. )

I dyed my hair throughout my pegnancy and *(not that i am biassed) but i have the most beautiful little girl and she is healthy and well...so hasn't caused us a problem. i was told that the amount of dye that goes into the system is so small it's not a problem...and that was from my hairdresser at the time that was also pregnant and my sister who is an apprentice hairdresser.

I reckon it's going to be one of those things where it comes down to personal choice for each individual! Just like eating soft pasteurised cheese is, and drinking coffee is.

My personal opinion is, that I would. Not every day, for sure, because everything we eat, drink, put onto our skin, enters our system in some amount. But I don't think dying my hair would worry me - I would imagine that if it was a major problem, healthcare providers would be mentioning it to us, as they do with the listeria risks, and drugs to avoid.

You will find that most OB's, and hairdressers, will assure you that dying your hair during pregnancy is deemed to be safe...

I am going to merge this thread with another which was recently started on this topic as well.

Oh, wow. I'm sooooo sooooooooo confused right now.
    Lol. I thought I made this thread. Lol.

---
    Edit:
    Oh, I think I get it now. I shoulda looked harder for other threads about the same topic, before starting one.
    I'm such a scatterbrain. =(

Sorry.

Btw, Thank you all for replying.
    It helps alot. =D

Hope you all had a great weekend.

xx
    Last edited by Jewel; December 2nd, 2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: <3<3<3

I had my hair dyed and the colour came out terrible! She didn't put any bleach in it cos Im pregnant and it came out 'orange' not blonde! So disappointed!

I'm going to pipe up and agree with what pretty much everyone else has said.
    I've been dyeing my hair chronically since I was around 13, and I'm pretty sure I dyed it once or twice before I found out I was expecting my first.
    Once I was aware that I was expecting, I held off until I was past the 12-week mark as suggested by various books and websites, and after that tried to cut down and do it only when the pale regrowth (I'm naturally sandy blonde and dye my hair jet-black) was driving me mad, or just before special occasions when I knew I wanted to look good (eg a friend's wedding four weeks before I was due).
    I did, however, stop bleaching my fringe and putting fluorescent colours through it... not because I was worried about the coloured dye, but because the fumes from the bleach I use had me convinced I'd be doing bub damage. So I went all-black for a few months and bub was absolutely fine.