Thread: Edd.. Which one?

Question Edd.. Which one?

Ok so i have this dilemma most pregnancies, so what would you do? LMP EDD is 5/7/08 U/S is 11/7/08. Not much difference but dunno which one. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

The most accurate EDD is the date they give you at your 12 week ultrasound HTH!!

Thanks Sarah thats what i thought. Well it looks like it may be the 11th!

Hi scorpiomum,

When i went to my booking in appointment i told the midwife i was due on the 1st bec thats what the ultrasound guy said. But she ended up changing it to the 4th, which is my due date by my last period dates. She said that they only count the u/s date if it's more than a week different from your LMP date.

cari28 Guest

The U/S EDD is the most accurate. Sometimes they change it according to baby's size in later pregnancy but the first is the most accurate and is the one that should be gone by.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

As far as ultrasounds go (because ALL scans have a margin of error) is your 5-6 week scan. This is because at this point all babies develop at the same rate without genes taking over.

BUT your most accurate EDD is your own, based on your LMP. Even then, LMP calculators base the EDD on a 28 day cycle and 14 day ovulation so everything is far from accurate really! Thats why it's called an estimated due date. Just trust that your baby will come when he is good and ready. Oh and for date's sake, take the one which gives you more time and less pressure for an induction.

Personally I think there is far to much emphasis on EDD's and we'd be better without them! :P
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Lordy me, a subject close to my heart With DD1 my EDD were June 1st and June 3rd according to scans. She arrived with assistance on the 17th. With DD2 my EDD were October 28th and October 15th, she arrived on November 9th.

Personally, I think the emphasis put on EDD is silly. Really, like Kelly said its based completely on speculation unless you know how many days are in your cycle & the ovulation date & the exact date of implantation....

I would always take the later EDD. That gives you more time to play. With my DD2 I told everyone my EDD was sometime in early November knowing that she wouldn't be early....HTH!

Thankyou Kelly and Christy. I am thinking of telling everyone that im due around the 15 to 20th of july. giving me some extra time. hehe. to all the BB ppl i will still be due around the 11th! LOL
    Thanks heaps

I'd pick the latest one - less likely to have anyone getting upset because baby is "Late"....it's less than a week difference anyway so not too much to worry about. I think we should have due months, not due dates

I was given the EDD from my first scan at 8 weeks as May 15th and for my 12 week scan I was told May 12th I ended up giving birth on the 14th. I didn't have a LMP to go off of because I for some reason skipped it the month before. I stayed with the 12th for telling people because I was so eager to meet my little creation. I agree though, a due month would be better

Just wanted to agree with the others Jen - definitely go with the latest date! Takes the pressure off for sure, and gives bub more time to come when they're ready.

Also, vagueness is good when giving a due date - when people ask, 'mid July' should be enough! I suspect there's a good chance I'll pop in March, but no way will I have people harassing me from the start of the month cos all they remember is 'March'! So it's 'sometime in April' all the way.

My midwives are good anyway, and somehow magically seem to find a reason that my baby isn't due for ages after the u/s date. Even though Riv came right on his u/s due date, it was good in that I hadn't even got to the 'ooer, it's time for the baby to come' stage.

All the best with the rest of your pregnancy!

Yeah i was thinking of saying around the middle of july.. for some reason they think its best for me to induce a week after EDD anyways, so it will be the 18th july at the latest.. I dont mind really atm what day in july bubba comes aslong as shim is happy and healthy..

You should go with the date that will mean the LEAST intervention for you.

The only time i think dates really matter is if you have a sick babe and they want you to deliver early. VERY day counts then!