Thread: EDD - what would you do?

clare076 Guest

Default EDD - what would you do?

I am convinced, no I know that the EDD the ob gave my last week is completely wrong. My GP also agrees with me.
    Going by my LMP I would be due 19th March 2007, by my cycle length and ovulation date I would be due 28th March 2007. The ob at the hospital is trying to tell me I am due 3rd April 2007. The reason she has given this date is because last week I had some bleeding, so she did a quick scan (I mean super quick) and said that is what I was measuring and the machine doesn't lie.

Now I am not stupid, this is my second baby, and I know that by 10weeks, the scan date can be +/- 10 days. The only possible way I could be due that date, is if my partners sperm survived 9 days and then my positive preg test would have come up at 4 days post ovulation. Which is impossible.

I am going back to hospital tomorrow for booking in appointment so going to take my chart and discuss with ob then.

If they refuse to change my date I am considering going back to my GP, and changing hospitals. That way on the referral she will put my EDD as the 28th March.

What would you do? stay at the same hospital and just accept that they know what they are doing or change?

I have been given a few EDD's for this pregnancy my LMP would put me at Oct 28th but the scan would put me at Oct 15th. After my experience with Matilda being 17 days post LMP EDD I decided not to worry too much about the actual date. When people ask me when I am due I am most likely to say "hopefully before November but you never know..." I think the pressure they put on us to be induced according to a date is what has made me shy of putting a date down. Our hospital decided to keep Oct 28th as my EDD and I am much happier having the last of the dates put down on record, so that way when the time comes for them to start discussing induction, I have as much time as possible.

So I guess I would stay at the same place and just accept it because it is the latest date & therefore would put less stress on you at the end of your pregnancy. With Matilda, I had to go to the hospital daily after 12 days over EDD to be monitored and wound up being induced on day 16. She was born 17 days post LMP EDD, but by my scan date she was 14 days post EDD.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I would do it in this order:

1. Accept the date that is furthest away (less pressure for induction)
    2. Accept the date based on my own cycle
    3. Accept the ultrasound date
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

clare076 Guest

Christy, isn't it dangerous for bubs to go 16 days over EDD? Most hospitals induce 7 - 10 days post EDD. That's the only rason I am worried, because if they leave me what they think is 10 days, in actual fact it could be 16 days. My GP has said, an incorrect EDD could effect the nuchal fold test and 18 weeks scan too?

No-one listened to me when I said my cycles were irregular and my hospital EDD (31.01) is based on my LMP, even though the first two scans showed a "small" baby that fit in with a 3rd of Feb EDD sizes. Development was "normal" for about that timescale.

Now my last scan, 19w exactly by hospital EDD, shows that my baby is no longer "small for dates" but bang on 19w. Don't know what that is about, but it just shows that you can't just go by a size on an ultrasound. The machine may not lie, but not everyone grows at the same rate.

When you are post-dates, you should have a post-dates scan at some stage which checks placental function and fluid levels. If this is fine, and both mum and babe are fine, then it's safe to continue. Remember you are classed as term from 38-42 weeks - after that you are 'overdue' and can work out a plan. But if all is fine there is no need to worry.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

I agree with Kelly on the order of choosing a date, but for different reasons.
    The latest date would be my first choice - purely from a sanity point of view. If you have a later date, its not so disappointing when you miss the earlier EDD.
    I know my cycles are 28/29 days, and I know when I am due based on everything, but luckily I've only been out by 1-2 days throughout my pregnancies - so I'm not having to deal with these big dates that you are.
    I personally would tell them fine on the later date, but I want closer monitoring towards the end to make sure that you aren't going too late.
    What a PITA though!!

clare076 Guest

Thanks for your replies
    I am going to talk to them tomorrow anyway, more to find out the plan of action if I do go over their EDD, and what their monitoring is like.

It's really dissapointing to think I am now a week behind, just when I thought I was at that magically 12 week mark to be pushed back into danger zone again.

Clare I can understand your dissappointment, but it is better to have it now than later I guess. My hospital was happy for me to continue on as my pregnancy was textbook & everything was looking good for me. I did have regular monitoring over the last few days to ensure that my placenta was still providing enough support for Matilda. Having said that , Matilda came out without any tell tale signs of being "overdue", she wasn't "overcooked" and my placenta didn't have any damage or signs of weakness at all. HTH!

It is hard - we all want to know that our baby will be here sooner than later... but regardless of how many weeks your baby is according to that scan, it wont change the date your baby decides to come! Your baby has that planned already - so perhaps trust that your body and your baby knows what it's doing, and when the time is right for your baby, when it's body is giving the signal that it's development in-utero is complete and ready for the world, it will happen, and with ease. It will fly past I promise - and don't worry about being in a 'danger period' - the body is an amazing thing and those little bubbies are very good at hanging in there strong. Enjoy your pregnancy!
    Kelly xx

I would take the latest date that they give you, but ask to have a late scan if you want one?

I had one at 36 weeks - my EDD was 11/11, the scan showed it as 26/10, and Milo was induced on 20/11.

I can't believe anyone would say "the machine doesn't lie!"

Have a talk with them and see how you go, then make a decision afer that.

I too would not be too concerned about an official "due date" - I understand thought that you want to be closer to the 12 week milestone that women seem to hang out for. It is a little of a concern for the NT but not really. I would book it for when your hospital date is - so you will need to check with the foetal ob who will tell you when she likes to do the nt u/s. Explain the descrepency in dates and they will make the call for you.

I would have "killed" for a later due date with 2 of my babies - my last "post dates" baby was born at a birth centre and the "policy" was no longer than 12 days post dates. I only just made it. It was very very very very stressful as I didn't want an induction and I knew my baby was fine with good movements etc.

I would try not to get too concerned right now about it and as I said when you book your NT scan let them sort it out!

I hope it all works out for you...